German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
What's the difference between that or me mailing them a certified check?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
803 Posts
It depends. I put a deposit down on a pup from a reputable breeder about 2 months ago and it was via PayPal.
However, the breeder is in California and I live in Florida.
I trusted PayPal more so than mailing a check. There was a long list for males, I was #13 and I didn't want to wait a week for my check to get to them and there could be issues with mailing the check or it could get lost.
I'm sure there are also complications with Paypal but it was the best choice for us.
We got a conformation that the paypal was sent and The breeder emailed saying thy received payment.
I don't believe it makes them less reputable. It is a business an PayPal is a way of payment.
It was a nice way to pay because we are so far away.
If the breeder was closer I might have chose a different option.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would have preferred it. My 6 month old puppy Havoc I had to pay Tracy (Bullinger Shepherds) by check. All the way from NJ to British Columbia Canada. I had no doubt my money was safe and I would get my pup. But I would have preferred PayPal. It made it a lot easier and quicker. With my Kaos (RIP) I was able to pay with PayPal......

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with accepting Paypal, but I see a lot of byb/puppymill type breeders who have photos of puppies with a Paypal button next to them, so you can "buy it now", no questions asked.

My issue is not whether breeders accept Paypal or not, but whether (and where) they advertise it on their websites. To me it makes the site look commercial, and I'd wonder if the breeder is screening their buyers, or if just anyone can hit the Paypal button and order a puppy.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i don't think anything is wrong with Paypal. the argument
came up with someone telling me when a breeder accepts
Paypal they're not screening a potential buyer correctly.
Is this related to the other thread? Seems like a strange thread to make when there's already one very similar. I don't think the issue was ever that they "accept" PayPal, since that would be kind of weird to have a problem with that in general, but the way certain breeders and their websites go about it. Like putting a "pay now" button next to a certain puppy's picture on a website, indicating lack of a screening process or matching of puppy to buyer based on temperament.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
My issue is not whether breeders accept Paypal or not, but whether (and where) they advertise it on their websites. To me it makes the site look commercial, and I'd wonder if the breeder is screening their buyers, or if just anyone can hit the Paypal button and order a puppy.
I agree with this.

It's not a huge deal -- it's probably not even in the top 100 things I'd think about -- but anything that smacks of "One click ordering!" for a puppy does kind of turn me off.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Is this related to the other thread? Seems like a strange thread to make when there's already one very similar. I don't think the issue was ever that they "accept" PayPal, since that would be kind of weird to have a problem with that in general, but the way certain breeders and their websites go about it. Like putting a "pay now" button next to a certain puppy's picture on a website, indicating lack of a screening process or matching of puppy to buyer based on temperament.
This is my issue with using paypal. I dont think there should be buy it now buttons and I have all together left breeders sites that accept it as a payment. For me personally I thought it was to "commercial" looking. I paid cash.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I don't have a problem with paypal.........it is just a way to transfer money.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I don't think the issue was ever that they "accept" PayPal, since that would be kind of weird to have a problem with that in general, but the way certain breeders and their websites go about it. Like putting a "pay now" button next to a certain puppy's picture on a website, indicating lack of a screening process or matching of puppy to buyer based on temperament.
Right, that was my thought too.

It's not about Paypal or credit cards per se--it's about whether breeders screen their buyers. When I see a "Pay now" button, I automatically think (rightly or wrongly) that the breeder views puppies as a commodity to be sold to anyone with the money, no questions asked.

If I were a breeder, I wouldn't want people thinking that about me... so even though I'd glady accept Paypal as a form of deposit or payment, I wouldn't put a "pay now" button on my public website. Maybe on a private page along with a copy of the contract, that I could link buyers to once I've screened them.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so if the breeder accepts checks, cash, money orders or
cashiers checks you feel stronger about the way the
breeder screens their customers? a form of payment
doesn't insure screening.

Right, that was my thought too.

>>>>> It's not about Paypal or credit cards per se--it's about whether breeders screen their buyers. When I see a "Pay now" button, I automatically think (rightly or wrongly) that the breeder views puppies as a commodity to be sold to anyone with the money, no questions asked.<<<<<

If I were a breeder, I wouldn't want people thinking that about me... so even though I'd glady accept Paypal as a form of deposit or payment, I wouldn't put a "pay now" button on my public website. Maybe on a private page along with a copy of the contract, that I could link buyers to once I've screened them.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
To have it listed all over the site for ease of purchase, to us, it does infer ease of marketing and purchase. Our choice not to do it.

Others can and that is their choice. The sites I have seen it listed on usually have multiple litters, so it might be an ease of tracking for them.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts