German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luna is a fresh little girl, when is say no or tell her off when she tries to get on the bed or couch, which she can easily climb now she will look at me and mumble and back talk me. She will do a lazy snap no agression at all and then proceed to mumble at me, it is funny as ****.

·
Super Moderator
4,810 Posts
yesterday I was getting ready to take my dogs for a walk. They both crowded around me in the mud-room talking. They didn't just bark, they made all kinds of noises as if they were trying to have a conversation with me. Kinda like talking to a pair of Wookies.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The Wookie noise! My young guy does that. But my daughter's dog (young pit/collie mix)...holy smokes, that wee nugget is a sass talker. We sit in the living room and "talk" to each other on the sofa when we get a moment alone. It's hysterical to me.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
It is cute but I ignore these sounds and they must do what is requested > Rewarded for compliance with praise and pets. Just tell her off the couch and praise her for Offing :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I am being serious with her she knows, when I crate her because she is getting routy she will make loud sighs like she gave up on life my mom was dying listening to her this weekend. She knows off, however getting my parents to to follow thru is the biggest problem. All in all she know when I mean business and typically will not push her luck during those times.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If I tell my girl to get on her bed and she really doesn't want to, she walks really slowly and mutters quietly. When she gets there, she flops down and lets out the hugest sigh. She really is the hardest done by dog in the world lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I don’t mind all the Basenji noises coming from Scarlet. Sometimes she gets loud and obnoxious, but it’s just part of her charm. I enjoy her so much. My Sage was a talker too, but not nearly to the level Scarlet has taken it.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Sabi mostly just cocked an eyebrow at me but if I was really being bad she would snort in disgust or give me the nose flip which over time I determined was her way of giving me the finger. Such a lady, lol.
Shadow makes pigeon sounds, bear sounds, grumbles, snorts, whines and if I am being really poorly behaved she barks.
I don't take it personally and I respect their right to partake in the decision making process with regards to cookies, walks and dinner time. Oh and pizza bones! Those get much conversation and debate.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Mei will backtalk/mumble and the sigh at me when she sees the cats able to jump up high on things.

She's made it up onto the table once. I grounded her for like 5 minutes in the kennel and she hasn't done it since lol.

She does get frustrated though and i can tell when we dont tell the cats to get down.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Beau will backtalk if he thinks I’ve been on the computer long enough. He first tries to engage me with (what else) his ball, an invitation to indoor Catch or Roll It. If I tell him “No, not now, go lie down”, he goes to his bed complaining loudly in the most querulous tones I’ve ever heard from a dog. Not barking, but this Arraowraowraorao noise that just sounds so aggrieved. He complies, but boy he lets me know he’s not happy.

·
Super Moderator
4,810 Posts
I handle back talk from a dog like I do with a kid. If it is serious I ignore it and continue doing what needs to be done regardless of grumbling..so I get very little grumbling. I get most of my back talk when it is casual play time or we are joking around. Body language makes all the difference, mine tells them when they can chat about things and when they can't. Except this morning...I got some NormNormnooooooorm, which had something to do with "you've slept enough, one of us needs to go outside to pee"...I think. It was punctuated by a leap on my chest and some face washing. My body language, totally relaxed in bed.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Luna is a very talkative pup in the morning as is my golden retriever. This morning I heard both of them talking and complaining, I thought ok ok you need to go potty, nope they just wanted out to play at 7am!! My wife let them both out at 630am, I was like really ladies.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Cody was the fun police! In their senior years sometimes Cody would lay there and bark at Clipper or moo if he didn't think everything was proper! Clipper would get up and go grumbling into the kitchen or something!! Like two grumpy old men that's been best friends all their life and they were!! They could be quite "talkative"!! I loved it!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gracie (14 weeks) is very talkative and mutters under her breath when I tell her to stop doing something. I don't mind it at all.

And her vocalizations are actually useful, since she always sings/talks when she's chewing on the couch, warning me to look at her and tell her "no!".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts