German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
WGSL Monty (b.5/21) B&T blanket-back. WGWL Holly (b.2016).
90 Posts
I'm not sure whether my boy Monty (4 months old yesterday) likes water or not!

He loves to play in it, whether it's a water trough, drinking bowl, or puddle. He stands in the shower with me... but so far he has not followed my older dog in to the pool, and he absolutely HATES going out in the rain albeit he's only experienced a few days of it in his young life.

The joys of puppyhood.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
my gal-dog got to play in the ocean for the first time. She loved that but got a bit weirded out when her feet didn't touch the bottom. I didn't get pictures because I was busy trying to teach my gal about the beach, especially no drinking the water. I didn't want my dogs taking too much salt water.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
my gal-dog got to play in the ocean for the first time. She loved that but got a bit weirded out when her feet didn't touch the bottom. I didn't get pictures because I was busy trying to teach my gal about the beach, especially no drinking the water. I didn't want my dogs taking too much salt water.
I never thought about saltwater, our girls have always swam in one of the Great Lakes or home in the pond. How do people keep them from drinking it?

Reactions: Jenny720

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
I never thought about saltwater, our girls have always swam in one of the Great Lakes or home in the pond. How do people keep them from drinking it?
Leave it :)

Valor loves water.
Water Sky Dog Plant Dog breed

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Even too much fresh water can be bad. Some folks have the dog hold a toy. But a toy can get gritty with sand and dirt and that is a whole other problem.
A few nips of water is probably not going to hurt. Just make sure to get your dog out of the water for a break.
When my big-boy was a pup on the Chesapeake Bay a few nips of water would come out the other end on the walk home (yuck)

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Great pics! Small amounts of water is okay but in very small amounts. Leave it- yes! Make swim sessions short and no or very limited toy play. Some toys with holes etc - can hold more water. I like the chuck it bumper or something like that. Fetch in the water is what can easily causes to much intake of salt water or fresh water. You can see max licking the water but he is not taking in much . I keep sessions short with rest in between and some fresh water. Since they run around on the beach I make sure they some fresh water but I am careful with that as well. With the dogs I have to really watch the fetch in the water versus just swimming. Max can easily over do it with fetch so I am most careful with that in regards to taking in to much water. They both love the water - Luna loves it just as much as do though. The ocean was real calm so a long walk on the beach turn into an unexpected swim to cool off. These guys are real fun. I love water dogs. Luna is doing real good she more for the calm water type but she was riding and jumping the small waves like a pro. Swimming for awhile in that water.

We were walking along and it was hard looked like someone was fishing about half foot In front of us they pulled out a giant butterfly kite out if the water. The wind was make it’s wind flap it look like a giant sea monster. The dogs just watched the kite and were super cool they seems to know it was a kite but I have to say. it looked more like a sea creature.

Water Cloud Sky Dog Beach

·
Registered
53 Posts
my little pup loves the kiddy pool...lol. that said, he got an ear infection from the water, according to the vet. it seems that their anatomy or their ear canal is conducive to retaining water in which bacteria grows.
make sure you dry out those ears after a swim session. Just a thought.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts