German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
He's not saying to never give the dog any vaccines, but rather to not follow the age old tradition of yearly "boosters", no matter what vets say. They are not only unnecessary, but overvaccination can lead to a host of other health problems. The initial puppy series of vaccines last for years, and in some cases for the life of the dog. Other vaccines, such as Corona, are pretty much completely useless for dogs of any age, yet some people still give them and stress out their dog's immune system in doing so.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Renji is only getting rabies vax from now on. When we got him as a rescue at around 8-12 months of age, he had his first round of shots (that we know of), at around two years of age he had a 5-way (would have preferred distemper/parvo only but this was all the vet had) and rabies a couple weeks later to reduce the chance of reaction, and that's that- no more vaccines except for rabies until he's old enough to get medically excluded from all vaccines period.

I do not agree with no vaccines at all, but I think doing the puppy shots then a one year booster plus the rabies shots as required by law is fine. I agree that over-vaccination is a big problem.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I only give the puppy shots, and may do a booster a year from the last puppy shot. I also do not let my puppies get a rabies shot at 4 months. Most vets want to give the last "puppy shot" and the first rabies shot at the same time. But I "just say NO". Siren got her rabies shot at 7 months.

I can't remember the last time my older dogs got "regular" shots. But it has been a LONG time. (They are 9 and 10yo.)

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
We do the puppy shots, booster at a year and booster at 4 years. Then that's it. We're considering skipping the 4yo booster with future dogs. And rabies every 3 years as required by law. We also make sure to spread out the shots and not give rabies near the same time they get others.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
I don't give vaccines past the puppy stuff. Grimm I think had ONE set adult boosters perhaps, but nothing more.

Rabies? Yes of course, it's the law... but I get the longest interval rabies vaccine allowable by law.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chris WildHe's not saying to never give the dog any vaccines,...
He DOES however say that "they" NEVER give ANY vaccinations even to puppies.

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
I do the normal pup shots, rabies as required at 4 months. Then at the 1 year mark, they get a 3 yr rabies. My older dogs are on 3 yr rabies and I typically will do their annual shots on a 3 yr basis now instead of yearly. (never same year as the rabies)

Vishnu had extreme issues with allergies and immune issues and I just feel more comfortable not vaccinating all the time.

Here by law you have to give vaccines to puppies for health certificates which are required to be given to any puppy buyer.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chris WildWe do the puppy shots, booster at a year and booster at 4 years. Then that's it. We're considering skipping the 4yo booster with future dogs. And rabies every 3 years as required by law. We also make sure to spread out the shots and not give rabies near the same time they get others.
Chris, you seem to be quite educated on many things gsd, lol, so I figured you would be a good person to ask questions.... mind if I pick your brain??
I have been doing the yearly thing for all 3 of my dogs. I didn't know until now that it might not be the best thing. Crap!
I've been doing what my vet recommends, which is yearly, plus bortadella every 6 mos (this I only do because we board sometimes when we go out of town, and they require it) We just went out of town the other day and boarded at the vets. Jake was due for his rabies and boosters, so they gave it all to him at once!!
I'm guessing from your vaccination routines that you think it's better not to do it every year. (well, obviously...) Can you explain to me the reason? Most vets make you feel like your dog is going to get an awful illness and die if they aren't given shots every year! I appreciate any info....life is a learning process!
Also, sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere----

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Quote:Most vets make you feel like your dog is going to get an awful illness and die if they aren't given shots every year!
I'm not Chris, hope you don't mind me chiming in. Those vets aren't updated on the latest research. A research paper came out stating that rabies should safely be given every 5 years and now they are stating it should even be every seven or longer. Right now the largest gap we see legally is three years. A lot of vets think Science Diet is the best food out there, but the food has enough grains in it to be adequate for an herbivore, not a carnivore which is what a dog is. There are vets out there who are up on the latest research and will work with their clients rather than hold to their own hard and fast rules.

Another thing to think about, many people will not bring dogs in for annual checkups if they don't have to give shots. I do believe some vets push for annuals to make sure the dogs come in to get their checkups. And then there is money, unfortunately. For some clinics, money drives many decisions.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I think vets push for everything just to get their $$$ and very few vets have dog's best interest in mind. Or cat's. Last year a vet (don't go there anymore) suggested that my cat had to have all of his teeth removed because they were bad and the charge for teeth removal was $$ per minute, so the bill would be $1000 +. My cat will be 16 years old and is healthy otherwise so I refused.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Chama's last rabies vaccination was 6 years ago. She has a note from the saying it is dangerous for her health to get rabies shots (because of her age) and it also lists her last titer results. This is acceptable for crossing the border into Canada. She has not had any other vaccinations for 7 years.

I will not vaccinate Rafi again for anything unless his titer shows he is not adequately protected for rabies. I do not run titers on anything but rabies.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
After my mom’s dog had a sever reaction to vaccines I did a lot of research on dog vaccines. As a result we’ve scaled back and only do the rabies every 3 years now. Prior to that we use to do the annual vaccines.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I prefer to only give two rounds of puppy shots and then have titers checked at 1 or 2 years of age to see if they need a booster. I would never give an extra vaccination unless the titers come back unprotective (I've never had that happen).

I also wait as long as possible to give the first rabies, around 6-8 months usually. And then we have to give it every three years here as well. It would be great if that would change!

I do know of a lot of people who raise raw, no-vac puppies. It does scare me a tad to not at least have the puppy shots though.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Its about time, people take over responsibility, learn to make decisions themselves by getting informed, gain back their power and no longer give in to the medical establishment and their bullies.

Given that vaccines are a multi-billion dollar industry, I guess the manufactures will not be very happy, that people start to question them- lets see with how many wonder-vaccines for "new" animal diseases they will come up with within the next decade to compensate for the loss.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I asked my vet about the three year rabies, but unfortunately Ala. requires yearly rabies by state law--my vet said they were hoping they would change it to three years and were helping to get this passed, but it never makes the floor.

Parvo/etc is done on 3-5 year cycles.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: emsoskar
Most vets make you feel like your dog is going to get an awful illness and die if they aren't given shots every year!
If your vet is doing that, it might be time for a new vet. YOU are the dogs owner, it is up to YOU what the dog does and does NOT get. And if they can't respect your wishes, I'm sure there is another one that will.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I too am a firm believer on giiving DHLP shots every three to four years. My nine and a half year old 7lb poodle ate a Dermaxx pill meant for my GSD (Don't ask) today.. I rushed her to the vet. Since we could not get her to vomit the pill they placed her on IV fluids and she will be there until Friday. This is not the vet I always use. I got to thinking that she has not had a "shot" in probably five years. She is now at the vet's with out protection (?) maybe? against all those nasty dieases. I haver not given her a shot except for rabies b/c she had a reaction to the shot. Now what have I done in leaving her there??? I wopuldn't think giving her one now would do any good at all. any comment??? She never goes anywhere so that is why I never woriied about the lack of shots.
julies'omom

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I also agree maybe time for a new vet:))

I stopped vac'ing my dogs about 6 years ago, by law I do however, have to give rabies every 3 years, when I do,,it's a thimerisol free vac, and so far with the three I have who all have their own little bag of health issues,,they've had no negative reactions to it.

My 8mth old, did get her round of puppy shots, that we JUST finished,,that included lyme,rabies & lepto,,my vet spaces everything out atleast a month 1/2...

I titer the adults, and so far, only Jynx my aussie was a little low on distemper,,so again, we did a thimerisol free vac but only 1/2 a doseage..

With masi (the youngster) I will most likely do a yearly booster when it's time,,the rabies, (they will be thimerisol free) and then I will titer after that..

I also do bordatella on the dogs I travel with,,once a year..

So I guess I am not totally vac free, but very minimal..My cats have never had vac's,,they are all inside..

diane

1 - 20 of 83 Posts