German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I always thought dogs could out-walk people, but I've had a couple people tell me that the average person can walk for much longer then the average dog because of a person's anatomy (ie bipedal). But these same people were surprised that my Papillon could walk 6 miles without stopping or having to be carried.

So is this true? Can humans actually walk longer then dogs? Google didn't really give me an answer.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
For dogs and people it really depends on them. Physical condition plays a large part. As well as determination to reach a specific destination if one is in mind. If your dog is conditioned to walk 10 miles with you, its nothing. You just build up. A Chihuahua could out walk a human if they're conditioned for it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I used to go on long-distance backpacking trips with one of my dogs. We worked up to the long treks, but even still... by the end of a whole day of non-stop hiking my dog was ready to quit long before I was. I was hiking from Savannah proper to South Beach on Tybee with my dog one day and he started laying down of his own accord smack dab in the middle of our walk a few miles short of our destination. It was pleasantly cool and he wasn't panting; he was just too tired. We set up camp early and he knocked out like a light.
On the other hand, one of my shepherd girls has not yet stopped a fetch session of her own accord. I'm quite certain she'd keep going until she collapsed. With dogs like that it's important to keep their health in mind and know when to stop.

So to answer your question, IMO it depends on the person and the dog. And the bigger question is should humans or dogs walk longer. I think that a shepherd left to his own devices, say, with a flock would manage to keep going longer than a person on a purposeful trek because he would know when to take breaks, when to slow down, and where to travel to keep cool and even. When we walk 'human style' we don't give them opportunities to regulate and make choices. We probably don't ambulate as effectively, but stride-for-stride I'd say humans in an appropriate state of fitness can 'go' longer.

Absolutely no scientific basis for this, just observation. :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
OMG, i'm always on the side of the dog (the right side, yuck yuck) but
i think i have to side with you humans on this one. please, please,
no one tell my dog (oh boy, my dog just looked at me when i typed
"my dog". GSD's are so smart) that i'm siding with humans.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's dependent on physical condition and breed, but I meant in more of an "all other attributes being equal" plane while assuming either party will stop when they reach their physical limit. Let's say the average GSD vs the average person. Or even a super-conditioned GSD vs the super-conditioned person.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts