German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 4.5 month old and he has started to lose his puppy coat, hes mostly black and light tan but i noticed llittle white tufts in the area betweeen where the black and tan meet and also on the back of the rear legs. plus more brown on his undercoat on his back. now im just curious if this is normal when they lose their puppy coat? will the little tufts of white turn to tan? also there is a small line of tan on the top of his snout, any info is helpful, he had great coloring when we got him with a deep black blanket with tan feet and head and i dont want it to change too much!:wild:

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
He will lose much of the darker coat as he matures. Showlines especially change out. What were his parents like? You can usually get a future glimpse of your pups coloring by looking at the parents. Very few SL's stay blanket back/where as the working lines tend to be darker, larger black pattern
The "white" is actually tan, and will blend in with his markings as he grows, he may also get a bitch stripe down his spine, normal for many showlines.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Generally they get lighter as they age.

My GSD started off almost bi-color and turned into a light blanket back. Started off with no white, now he has a lot on his chest. If your pup has white it will most likely not turn to tan. You can expect as he loses his puppy fur and gets older that his color will change a lot.

This was our pup at 12 weeks.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

This is him at almost a year.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow they really do change alot! first gsd for me and ive always wanted one, did alot of research but theres always stuff to learn. thanks guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.