German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9wk old pup threw up a little white foamy stuff this morning. He then went outside and passed a normal stool. He has been eating and drinking normally all day. He is very playful

However, when he poops, he does it in one spot, then moves a few more feet and does the rest. The stool looks normal for the most part, just looks a bit slimier than usual and not as "long"

Does this sound ok? He hasnt thrown up since early this morning and has been eating his treats and food normally

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Because your pup is only 9 weeks, I would get a vet check.
Did he just get a set of vax? Keep a close eye on him, and try to limit the treats, give him kibble for treats. Could be too much too soon for a baby to eat variety wise.

For older age pups I would get him on a digestive enzyme/probiotic. When the poop looks mucousy it is sometimes a sign that the digestive tract is off. If he barfs again, rest his stomach for 24 hours and go w/ a bland diet....limiting water too. Then do the digestive e/probi about a half hour before mealtime, mix with a bit of yogurt.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read on here on another post that sometimes puppies will throw up a foamy substance early in the morning and its because of an empty stomache.

Some people give their pups a light late night snack and it alleviates the problem.

If my pup plays too hard before his breakfast he sometimes will do the foam thing. :)

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Yellow bile barf is when the stomach is empty, white foam sometimes too...but if it is mucous looking then there may be other things going on than an empty tummy.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
My view on puking is that if it's an isolated incident and the dog/puppy is otherwise fine, I just watch them to make sure they stay that way. Dogs puke from time to time and I don't worry about it for the most part. If they keep vomiting, have diarrhea, or just don't feel good, then I take them to the vet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My GSD is 9 months now and is an extremely picky eater. Sometimes he decides to pass on his dinner and when he does he will sometimes throw up the white/yellow foamy bile. Silly dog if he just ate his dinner his tummy wouldn't hurt!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree with Elaine. So far everything you've posted about Knight sounds perfectly normal!! And I hate to embarrass Stosh, but he's one of those traveling poopers too.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I agree with Elaine. So far everything you've posted about Knight sounds perfectly normal!! And I hate to embarrass Stosh, but he's one of those traveling poopers too.
Annie is too! Our first shepherd use to squat to pee but kept on walking forward. My husband called her Squat n Trot. ;)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read on here on another post that sometimes puppies will throw up a foamy substance early in the morning and its because of an empty stomache.

Some people give their pups a light late night snack and it alleviates the problem.

If my pup plays too hard before his breakfast he sometimes will do the foam thing. :)
That's what my dogs do. For me, if I feed them closer to 12 hours apart rather than 8, I have less of this in the morning.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Traveling poopers lol

On the throw up: it looked like pancake batter. It must have tasted like it too, because Knight ate it before i could open the crate.

He has been normal otherwise. He had his first round of shots on the 3 rd and is due for his second round on Monday.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My husband calls it 'drive by' pooping. Hey, it's hard being a pup, all kinds of things are going to go in and out in a variety of colors and smells and forms

1 - 12 of 12 Posts