German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 12 week old german shepherd puppy. He's supposed to be a purebred but one of the people that saw him said he isn't a purebred because he has white/grey fur on his stomach and legs.

Is he really not a purebred or is this a natural thing?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
definitely looks pb to me. puppies can have a little bit of white and still be purebred, his tan color may also get a little darker

·
Registered
7 Posts
He looks purebred to me too! My boy Rockys coloring changed dramatically within the first year so I agree with mego that his tan color could get darker

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
this is a black and tan .the tan part is lacking pigment. On maturity the dog will probably be washed out in colour as the black recedes. The tan is "bright". If you have a picture of the sire and dam that would be interesting .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Isn't any white hair just a very undesirable trait? Doesn't mean they aren't purebred... just not acceptable for showing?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't any white hair just a very undesirable trait? Doesn't mean they aren't purebred... just not acceptable for showing?
I like any color on my puppy. I just don't like people saying he is not what he is just because he HAS white hair.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
he's PB. Certainly not Panda at all. Panda shepherds are considered to have no more than 40% white on them with the rest being regular black and tan markings. This is from the Phenom website. She's the initial breeder to market the panda coloration.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's probably just genetics. Some puppies even have a white patch of fur on their chest. It all depends on the parents and grandparent. Probably just a lighter pigment chest. But PB no doubt.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thank goodness. I don't like people saying he's not just because he's got white fur. Messing with mah dawg :mad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yea he looks pure .just inherited colors from parents...gsds do come in white and silver sometimes. .just undesired for akc but our naturally occurring in the breed sometimes. ..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts