German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a white female gsd 6 months old. My roommate has a 2 yr old lab mix with maybe some rot and other things. he's very territorial so whoever she ttys to lay on the couch he will start baking and snap at her. never fully attacked but she's too young to defend herself and now she's scared to walk around the house because of him. I take her for walks all the time and she get crazy amounts of exercise. My roommate does a poor job of caring for his dog which doesn't help. I would take him for walks but he's too dumb and runs from me at the park so I cant take him off a leash. I'm not really sure what to do.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You need to protect your puppy and do everything you can to nurture her confidence. I think you need to sit down with your roommate and come to some sort of agreement, perhaps the dogs should be crated and have free time around the apartment separately until you have their behaviour under control. Your puppy should feel especially safe within her home and with you. If I were in that situation I would consider moving, but I don't fully know the complexity of your situation so that may not be possible for you.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I agree with the crating. Or, perhaps you could put baby gates up to separate them in the house/apartment--one dog could be in the living room and the other in the kitchen, then you could rotate them. Be cautious around feeding time and with toys if the other dog is possessive of things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts