German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I am looking at getting a puppy. There is someone i met that mixed a white German Shepherd with a standard colored German Shepherd. I was wondering if there were any issues with breeding the two types together. The puppies are mixed colors. The two parents are different sizes, the father is very large weighing approximately 90 pounds with very thick fur and is four years old. And the mother is more of a feminine looking dog that weighs approximately 60 pounds and is a year old. thanks for any responses in advance.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
More important than color is the temperament of the parents and whether the breeder is doing important health testing and raising the pups from birth the right way. If the female is only a year old, I doubt the health tests have been done, you may be buying your vet a new vette with all the visits down the road due to health problems of your pup.

And because the female is only a year old, she hasn't even structurally filled out, she needs another year to finish maturing. Too bad the puppy is having puppies. :(

I would do more research on the breed and look at the "responsible" breeder thread, so you can recognize a good breeder from a bad one.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/137533-things-look-responsible-breeder.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dads friend has a dog that worked in the CIA, and the father of the pupies reminds me of him. He is curious and watchfull of unknown visitors. The mother seemed playful and alert. The color to me isn't necessary, rather the personality traits of the breed.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well, what you'll need to find out about the puppies' parents is some health info - ask the breeder if the parents are hip and elbow OFA certified and if so, get their OFA numbers so you can check on the website. You should also ask for pedigrees, and ask what the breeder does with the dogs, and if they have any titles. If the pup has a good personality, that's great, but I know for myself personally I would absolutely never purchase a dog from breeders who didn't OFA cert.

Not to mention the dam is a year old, far too young to be having pups, so right off the bat this breeder is making critical mistakes, sounds like a BYB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts