German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering getting a white male pup. I have a 7month old black red female

any one own? do they have different temperaments?
pup I am looking at is 16 weeks old

Thanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
They have the same temperaments as any other GSD !

From my favorite source Wikipedia: The White Shepherd has a distinct personality marked by self-confidence. The breed is poised, but when the situation demands, it is eager, alert and ready to serve in any capacity. White Shepherds demonstrate both herding and protective instincts. With those he knows, the White Shepherd is open and friendly. With strangers, he is observant and may be somewhat aloof but not apprehensive.

...This is a joyful, active, intelligent and easy to train working dog with the ability to adapt and integrate to all kinds of social events and situations.Timidity in a mature dog or aggressive behavior is not typical of this breed.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard the GSD referred to as being joyful in any breed standard or any language. ;) I have this image of two guys out on the Schutzhund field....
"So what do you think Cliff...does Hero have what it takes to eventually get his SchIII"
"Oh I don't know John. He's a little too serious..not quite as joyful as we like to see."

Honest Packman I'm not making fun of you, it's just the thought of the SV putting the word joyful in the breed standard. What you've actually quoted is part of the breed standard for the White Shepherd. Simple mistake. :) The white German Shepherd Dog doesn't have it's own standard. They use the one for GSD's and ignore the part about white being a disqualifying fault.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The white shepherd I had a few years ago did not come from the planet of Mars-the only difference between she and my others was her white coat-she was a true German Shepherd and I enjoyed having her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts