German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are white German Sheperds the same breed as the normal black and tan German Sheperd? Do they have different temperments and a difference in inteligence or protectiveness? Are they the same dog just in the color white? Thanks for all of the help, everyone has been so helpful here.

Jon

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
White German Shepherds are German Shepherds just a different color. Some people are trying to make them a separate breed so they will be allowed to show in conformation because white is not an acceptable color according to the breed standard.

There are not a lot of white GSDs being worked and tested to the same standard as a GSD should be. Most are being bred for their "rare" color without regard to temperament or working ability.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have read mixed reviews. I am not one to talk. I do have a 6mo old and he has the same issues, nerves that some of the other GSDs we have come across. Personally, I think he is the same as other shepherds, just his coloring is white.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Cute pup! Looks like she (he?) does a lot of socializing! Love the pictures with the Dachshunds, they look like they were holding their own! Are any of the other dogs yours too?

·
Registered
677 Posts
There are not a lot of white GSDs being worked and tested to the same standard as a GSD should be. Most are being bred for their "rare" color without regard to temperament or working ability.

I keep reading this same sediment over and over again and it a misconception. There are a lot of WGSD breeders who do all the health tests and they do show their dogs in conformation just not AKC. There are also a lot of WGSD breeders who are involved in herding and agility. Did you know there is a web site called the White Shepherd Genetics project where breeder actually share information about the problems they have seen come up in there lines. Whites don't have the corner on poor breeders or breeders who breed for "color". If someone wants a GSD weathers its black and tan, sable or white it comes down to research.

As to the temperament and health of a white vs. colored; a German Shepherd is a German Shepherd. A white from a reputable breeder would have the same temperament you would find in a show line German Shepherd. As to there health they have the same genetic issues colored German Shepherds have, no less no more.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
As to there health they have the same genetic issues colored German Shepherds have, no less no more.
I'm trying to stay out of this conversation but I did want to say that the White Shepherd Genetics project has identified 57 genetic diseases in the white lines. The standard shepherd has 138 known genetic diseases. (info from the WSGP, not sure how up to date it is) It would be nice to think that responsible breeding is part of the reason we see a decline.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've heard different things too. For the most part, I've heard they ARE the same, just different in color (like black from tan). But if you look carefully, they look a slight bit different in the face.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
White German Shepherds who are just white. Just like Black German Shepherds, that are just black.

But there are people who think the white color is "rare" when it isn't and using to get people to buy their dogs and make $$$. But there are good breeders of White German Shepherds out there, you just have to do your research just like with any other German Shepherd.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I've heard different things too. For the most part, I've heard they ARE the same, just different in color (like black from tan). But if you look carefully, they look a slight bit different in the face.
Just for those who really don't know. They are most definitely the same dogs/breed of dog, and have the same ancestry as any other GSD. They all go back to the original lines started in Germany.

The differences are in the structure, obviously the color and sometimes the temperament depending on which line you compare them to.

When you have only one color the faces will look different if compared to a dog with a mask. A black nose sticking out from a white face is going to make the dog look different than when you have a black nose on a dark sable face. Part of it is an illusion and part of it is simply because the dogs aren't from cookie cutters...you're going to have variations in head shapes, ear sets etc. :)
The American whites closely resemble the show lines from the 1920's through the 1950's and actually look more like the first GSD's than some of the other lines.

·
Registered
79 Posts
White German Shepherds

Hi All -
I am new to this site but am glad to have found it. I am the proud owner of a White German Shepherd named Judah. He is 7 months old, 80 lbs. As far as differences between the black/tan and the whites, the one thing I notice is that the WGS do not have the slanted backs.
A question to any of you, is have you noticed a change in GS at this age as far as reaction to people? Judah is being trained as my diabetic alert service dog and he has had lots of socializing and training. He's very friendly and then last weekend I took him to the mall for walking and he barked at people for the first time. One man started to come up to us saying how beautiful he was. Judah had been laying down by my feet and he got up, and then sat in front of me and barked at the man. I had not seen this reaction before. Anyone else notice this? Thanks, I appreciate feedback. Also, I loved the pictures of the WGS that were posted. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There are some beautiful long coated white dogs coming from the uk.calmholme has some beauties as well as nicolee.they have an older type and i thnk they are quite lovely.their black gsd's males are gorgeous too.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi All -
I am new to this site but am glad to have found it. I am the proud owner of a White German Shepherd named Judah. He is 7 months old, 80 lbs. As far as differences between the black/tan and the whites, the one thing I notice is that the WGS do not have the slanted backs.
A question to any of you, is have you noticed a change in GS at this age as far as reaction to people? Judah is being trained as my diabetic alert service dog and he has had lots of socializing and training. He's very friendly and then last weekend I took him to the mall for walking and he barked at people for the first time. One man started to come up to us saying how beautiful he was. Judah had been laying down by my feet and he got up, and then sat in front of me and barked at the man. I had not seen this reaction before. Anyone else notice this? Thanks, I appreciate feedback. Also, I loved the pictures of the WGS that were posted. Thanks for sharing.
Sounds like he is entering the "fear" stage of development. Continue to socialize and build his confidence, do not reward the reaction. Reward meaning tightening of the leash, pulling him away, etc. Meeting new people should be a positive experience, maybe sit at the mall and allow people to calmly approach your dog, treat/pet him calmly and then move away. Do the same thing at a local park, etc.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Here is my boy, 1.5 yr old WGSD

At 13 weeks

About 7-8 months

10 months

At his lowest weight, 65 pounds :(

2 weeks ago, up to 74 pounds

Timber was diagnosed with HOD at 13 weeks, Pano at 9 months, and malnutrition/SIBO at 14 months. He has been our problem child since the very beginning, when I pulled him from a horrible situation complete with a cast on his leg "treating" or should I say "not treating" his HOD.
He is a poster child for what comes out of a bad breeding program. But I wouldn't trade him for the world. He is the most gentle loving dog and adores every child he meets!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I miss my white shepherd ... I'd love to have a black shepherd, and a white one ... but I don't know if I could have another white, my Willow was so special to me. I have trouble looking at other WGSDs ... but they -are- beautiful, accepted breed standard or not.

But is there a color that isn't? I want them all ... :crazy:

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Yeah, its the same dog. When I started doing my research I did read about some genetic issues, like they can be missing a few teeth sometimes, which is probably a sign of the breeding program and not the WGSD overall. I think they are usually a little bit taller than the standard, but that might also be part of the breeding program, and I've talked to many people that have owned very oversized ones, at about 30" and 130lbs. Again this is just my experience, I'm pretty sure there are plenty that fit the standard.

It would be cool to own one, they are beautiful dogs, but I wanted a standard GSD that everyone would be able to know is purebred, so I got a sable lol.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I am going to jump on board also and say they are GSDs like any other, just white. Temperament, health, stability, etc is a matter of the breeder and lines and not really the color unless the pool is small and the work to breed a specific color increases the health problems.

As a long coated GSD owner I can attest of hearing many things about my own boy, including people who ask what kind of dog he is.

He is a German Shepherd.

In fact my boy came from standard coat parents and they came from standard coat parents, some fantastic line breeding from some Champions such as VA (CHINA) Xab aus Agrigento and his dad is incredible (VA Jaeger vom Haus Munsinger Dunn (SchH3, KKL1 | HD-ED a1 normal | HD-ZW:74) )

He is just a long coat because both parents carry a genetic trait that has existed as long as the GSD has been around.

He has an incredible temperament and the vet said his hips were outstanding.

Breeding. It is breeding and after that raising and socialization.

White, black, black and tan, black and red, sable...they are GSDs exhibiting certain genetic traits much like your children do.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts