German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! We just got a handsome little guy named Ruger. I believe he is bicolor with a solid white patch on his chest, and a tiny spot on his chin. Could this mean he carries the recessive white gene?

We have a white girl, Ruby. She is the most kind, well mannered, works to please dog I have ever met. We are considering breeding them but have not commited to the idea yet. It did get me wondering if we do decide to, if there is a possiblity to get some white pups like Ruby since he has the white patch.

·
Registered
31,107 Posts
The "white" gene is a masking gene. It simply covers their genetic color with white.

Any white spots on a GSD are called residual white. Typically on the chest and toes because those are the last places to develop color in utero. Often the white will fade as they age. There is no gene associated with this that they know of.

If you don't know things like this, I would highly suggest you not attempt breeding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "white" gene is a masking gene. It simply covers their genetic color with white.

Any white spots on a GSD are called residual white. Typically on the chest and toes because those are the last places to develop color in utero. Often the white will fade as they age. There is no gene associated with this that they know of.

If you don't know things like this, I would highly suggest you not attempt breeding.

Thanks for your reply and sharing your opinion. I thought it was referred to as a recessive gene. I did understand that the white is covering the true color of the coat. In anything I have found online in attempt to research, I've read that in order to get white puppies, both the Male and female have to carry what I've seen referred to as the "recessive gene"- what is the correct terminology of it?

Do you have any websites that you know of that a credible sources for learning more about the breed and the genetics? The ones I've seen have referred to the masking of the true color as a "white gene" and said that it is a recessive gene. If you can point me in a good direction, it is appreciated.

I'd also like to add for any other readers, getting white pups isn't a goal. Nor is breeding why we got our boy. We just thought it would be nice to have a pup from our sweet girl so we are considering it.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Are you referring to Panda? I second not breeding. You will never get a clone of your sweet girl. I know someone experienced who has a very mild mannered male and bred him to another mild female. They got a few medium drive puppies, but most were not at all what they expected— higher drive, high energy, very challenging. As far as I know, they didn’t breed again. Unless you are very experienced at genetics and breeding, you have no idea what personalities you will create. You need to understand who is in the pedigree, not just the one dog you know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you referring to Panda? I second not breeding. You will never get a clone of your sweet girl. I know someone experienced who has a very mild mannered male and bred him to another mild female. They got a few medium drive puppies, but most were not at all what they expected— higher drive, high energy, very challenging. As far as I know, they didn’t breed again. Unless you are very experienced at genetics and breeding, you have no idea what personalities you will create. You need to understand who is in the pedigree, not just the one dog you know.

Thank you for your input! Based on the two responses I've gotten so far it looks like I am out of my league on this forum. I can see how needing to know the pedigree history would vital in attempting to get similar traits/personalities. We will likely not breed. I personally don't want to put her body through it, anyway. I'm scared to say, I don't even know what Panda means in terms of GSD! Thanks for trying to answer my question though.

·
Registered
31,107 Posts
Thank you for your input! Based on the two responses I've gotten so far it looks like I am out of my league on this forum. I can see how needing to know the pedigree history would vital in attempting to get similar traits/personalities. We will likely not breed. I personally don't want to put her body through it, anyway. I'm scared to say, I don't even know what Panda means in terms of GSD! Thanks for trying to answer my question though.
Panda is a mutation in one line. You can google that.

The white you are asking about on your puppy is residual White. It's just something that happens in utero sometimes.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
You aren’t out of your league. I learned a lot from reading this forum. That is a very good decision. Females can die from having a litter. It’s not common but it happens. Enjoy your dogs!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts