German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I’m new to the forum. I did a search on this topic but nothing came up. I have a 21 mth old male intact white shepherd. I noticed a couple months ago that there’s a spot developed on his right shoulder where the hair is turning black. The area is about the size of my hand splayed out. The skin is pink underneath but the hair shafts are black. He’s been bathed twice thinking it was dirt but it won’t come out. This dog DOES suffer from dietary and environmental allergies so I’m not sure if this is related somehow. The skin looks healthy underneath and doesn’t seem to affect him otherwise. It’s the weirdest thing. Has anyone ever heard of this happening.. is it a common issue with white shepherds? This is my fist shepherd (yep I’m hooked on the breed now lol)

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Pictures?

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm not an expert, so I'm just taking a stab at this and guessing. If this were my dog, I would be taking it in to a vet and have a biopsy done of that particular location. It sounds suspicious and would have me concerned about potential squamous cell carcinoma.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not an expert, so I'm just taking a stab at this and guessing. If this were my dog, I would be taking it in to a vet and have a biopsy done of that particular location. It sounds suspicious and would have me concerned about potential squamous cell carcinoma.
Hi. I am a vet tech and have seen squamous cell carcinoma many times. This defly isn’t it. The skin under his fur is 100% perfect.. no discolouration, nothing at all.
Tryin to navigate my way around this site and will try to upload a picture...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,901 Posts
I doubt it’ll turn black. Since White is a masking gene, could be a bit of bleed thru. Or just a very very very washed out dog appearing white. What color were the parents and siblings?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
One of my shepherds is white. After seeing the pictures, I also thought that maybe the gray is bleed-through. A lot of times the bleed-through is creamy or tannish in color, but gray/black seems possible. Does he come from a breeder who might be familiar with their lines and be able to give you some insight?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of my shepherds is white. After seeing the pictures, I also thought that maybe the gray is bleed-through. A lot of times the bleed-through is creamy or tannish in color, but gray/black seems possible. Does he come from a breeder who might be familiar with their lines and be able to give you some insight?
Honestly I don’t know now. Breeder said both parents were white but I don’t believe them now. I didn’t see the parents because this pup was being housed at her sisters place. Breeder claimed her intact male tried to attack Zeus (he was 5 months old) when her other females when into season so she had to separate them. The whole thing is shifty. I’m sure I was duped by this breeder but I fell in love when Zeus the moment I laid eyes on him and took him anyway. I emailed the breeder twice after I got home with updates etc and while it took a while for her to reply to my email she finally did. When I discovered that Zeus had allergies I emailed her again to let her know (in case she wanted to reconsider this breeding line). She never replied to me and I haven’t heard from her since. I think they knew this wasn’t going to be a good breeding dog and that he was going to have health issues which is why they sold him. I called their vet for references even and the vet had said it was their 3rd litter and didn’t have any known health issues... I digress...

I love my boy regardless what he looks like.. he’s still handsome and has his health issues but it doesn’t matter. I just wasn’t sure what to expect with this darkening is the coat. He’s never been pure white.. he has very light cream markings as well so for all I know one or both of the parents may not have even been white

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
He might be one of those super pale saddle backs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts