German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning gsd lovers

i am writing this bleary eyed and beating heart
i. have a 12 week old gsd pup who is perfect apart from his constant crying, vocalising, ive never had a vocal breed before.
he is great, stubborn but loveable, his problem is if you turn your back to do ANYTHING he whines.. i live in a quiet housing estate, my. neighboirs are. great but one is elderly the other has young children, when he cries at night its VERY LOUD.. my anxiety is through the roof with it..
He cries in the crate, he cries if i go to the toilet. i reward him when he stops and settles.. i am exercising him twice daily, he has use of our large yard.my 2 young sons play with him, we all train him, i return to work in 3 weeks, so i am under pressure to try and help him settle before this..i hope nobody scoffs this i really am doing my best, i am starting pupoy obedience classes tonight but if this continues up until nearer my starting date i will have to consider the option of rehoming him to a GSD savvy house.
i am expecting a lot, i know hes only a pup, but this goes through my brain when he whines, my partner wont let me have the pup inside the house so we have a beautiful kennel, run that he has slept in the past 3 nights, he slept nearly 6 hours straight last night.. if i could sleep when he sleeps i would but i have 2 boys who ha e been out of school since March and their nighttime routine is later than normal,my partner works nights so im on my own, i do suffer from anxiety, im an overthinker and a problem solver, but this is proving difficult.

please dont judge me for getting a pup and now moaning about it, i am a great dog owner, and my training, quality time with the pup is 100%..its just this issue...
if there is anyone who has been at my stage and has cime out thr other end without losing their hair/mind PLEASE let me know. 'i would really, really appreciate the help

·
Registered
877 Posts
Your partner won’t “let” you have the puppy in the house? That would be a deal-breaker for me.

You have essentially a baby who is missing its pack. You need to ride out the whining. My current dog, who is now 3, didn’t stop whining when I was out of sight until he was about 4 months old. I never gave in...and neither did he...lolol. He eventually outgrew it. All my other dogs outgrew it much earlier. Each puppy/dog is different

At this age, I would consider rehoming if your anxiety can’t take the whining and the puppy is kept outside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rhank you very much, i have just come back from a walk with him, i should have said earlier the 'outside' run is attached to the house.. so he is with us all during the day, and he had been in the crate at night for 2 weeks.. he likes his kennel during the day,
(he gnaws away at his bones)..i personally find the whining unsettling, its new territory for me.

thank you for replying,my partner and i just have different viewpoints on having adog, i see the positives, he see the negatives... i genuinely hope that it gets easier, because hz is a dote of a dog..

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don't understand.
You have a 12 week old puppy that you expect to sleep outside at night and you wonder why it whines?

You should have covered this with your partner before getting the dog imo and passed if this was the agreed decision.
"my partner wont let me have the pup inside the house so we have a beautiful kennel, run that he has slept in the past 3 nights"

Holy crap that's way way too young....

Then in your last post it appears you say he's outside in the kennel during the day and crated (where?) at night. This is a giant recipe for trouble imo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts