German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize because I'm sure someone has posted a thread about this before, but I couldn't find one, so here it goes!

Our fourteen-week-old GSD has a terrible problem with constant whining. Sometimes it's when he's waiting for us to finish fixing his food, which is getting better because we make him lay down and wait, so he's much more relaxed now than he used to be. Of course he whines when he needs to go out, too. Other than that, we've narrowed it down to several possible reasons:

a) he's teething
b) he's experiencing some extreme growing pains
c) he's just a very vocal dog, which many GSD's are
d) all of the above (haha)

That being said, does anyone have any advice on getting him to cut down on the incessant whining? My husband and I absolutely love and adore him, we're just getting tired of the whining. Any ideas are welcome :)

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Some are whinier than others.
Have you tried making sure that whining does not get him what he wants?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We never really give in and just give him whatever he wants because we don't want him to learn to beg, so I don't really think if his whining is associated with begging. He never gets table scraps or human food in general, when we're done playing it stops regardless of whether he wants to keep playing or not, etc.

When he whines, he just wanders around the house and whines and nothing at all which is the most frustrating part about it because we have no idea the reason why he's whining, we just want him to stop. He doesn't just whine when he wants food, water or to go out, he whines constantly for no reason.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Is he exercised enough? Maybe he's bored and restless...sorry thats all I've got;)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
How long have you had him? And I second the question on exercise..... how much and what do you guys do? Have you had him in for his first vet visit yet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
We've had him a little over a month now, and we've taken him on two vet visits. The vet said we need to make sure to exercise him because he's a little "bossy". The absolute last thing we want is an overly dominant dog! We want to be able to keep him out when people are over and make sure that he's not too dominant when we decide to have kids.

We take him out for a minimum 25-30 minute walk every day and of course play with him all day, too. Should we increase the walks?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Is he exercised enough? Maybe he's bored and restless...sorry thats all I've got;)
That's what it sounds like to me. I'd way up the exercise outside the home (car rides included), socialization. Continue with puppy/dog classes.

You working on all the engagement training? --> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/162230-engagement-key-training.html

How about clicker and 'trick' training? --> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/187976-teaching-trick-least-important-part-teaching-tricks.html

I don't wait for my pups to get bored and do any activity I don't like. I also generally don't punish them when they start up these unwanted behaviors because I realize that it's not their fault for being bored and full of pent up energy coming out in....

Instead it is MY fault (bad me :wild: ) and I need to address the real issue, me. I have to be PROactive to think of playdates, exercise, training, fun activities to fill my pup's life up with so much fun and joy they don't have time (or energy) to get into trouble or wander around the house whining.

It's amazing how when I address myself as the real issue, my puppies all become brilliant and so well behaved!

:wub:

·
Registered
951 Posts
It's amazing how when I address myself as the real issue, my puppies all become brilliant and so well behaved!

:wub:

A friend of mine and I (in our 20's) used to have men troubles. After what seemed like the 20th bad date or relationship what have you we started to get really real with ourselves and asked... Did you ever stop to think that maybe its you?

LOL less than a year later we were both married or engaged and about to be married. We have both walked through the fire in our relationships and came out the other side far better than before but its amazing how a little prospective can change everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts