German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fiona over the last two days is driving me nuts with the whining. It could be the heat, both 100 plus days. But I think she wants attention. I realized today that yesterday, I would give her attention with the whining. So now I am trying to ignore her. Hard to do when she puts her front feet up on my recliner's feet and whines. I am only giving her attention when no whining. Now here is the twist... Fiona is my service dog and I am wondering if she is alerting to something. She is not trained to whine but maybe she doesn't know what to do with this new thing. Don't laugh ... But I noticed a wart yesterday. I put the compound w bandaid on it. Fiona tried to lick it and then attack it with her paw. Is that it or is she just demanding attention.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe she needs more exercise? Maybe she just wants outside? My GSD wakes me up to go outside.. just to enjoy it.. not to potty.

She whines if I leave the house without her... or pick up my car keys, or the leash for a walk.

So it is for specific things.. not attention.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
You do not write about her state, has she been on heat recently? Some females behave like that sometimes if they are likely to have false pregnancy, they walk after you and whine time to time. If it is so, there should be other signs.
Is her urinal system is OK? Some infections cause irritation at the early stage, other symptoms come later.
It also could be some high frequency or even ultrasounds irritating her, some equipment produces it, look around your house, ask your neighbours, if they bought something new of electronic.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Alerting

Probably just a wart, but our white GSD is the one that got me to go to the Dr. and it turned out I had skin cancer. It is a long story, but suffices to say, her constant attention to a spot on my arm is what did it.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She definitely needs more exercise. I dislocated both of my knee caps when I took her to dog beach. Was finally able to walk her around the block yesterday. Trainer said just throw the ball and have her chase it. She would rather destroy her tennis ball than chase it lately.

She got out of heat a month ago, but she did make me think she thought she was pregnant. The whining started after I came home having visited and held her mommy's new puppies. So maybe she is jealous of the attention I gave to the puppies.

The whole cancer thing is what made me think she might be alerting. My grandma's dog was sniffing and scratching at my dad during a visit. Turns out he had lung cancer. Scary.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
If you haven't been exercising her properly, then that's most likely it. If she's destroying toys, I would use Leave It and Drop It to play, or play with a toy she doesn't destroy. She should definitely know both commands by now if she is a Service Dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts