German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had other dogs before, one was part GS. Picked up my puppy 4 days ago. He is 8 weeks old. Was from a litter of 12. Brought him home and he is constantly whining so loud. I know he is in a new environment, but the ear piercing cry is getting to me.

I put him in an xpen while I am at work, had a lady come over and let him out once. Came home to him covered in poop and it all over the floor. Ugh. I went to give him a bath and I could hardly control him in the bathtub. He's only 8 weeks old. As he grows, how do I control this? I know he will need more baths. I only work 3 days a week.

He hates the leash. I let him drag it around the house, but he thinks it is just a chew toy. He will just sit and pull back if I try to take him for a walk. Suggestions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had other dogs before, one was part GS. Picked up my puppy 4 days ago. He is 8 weeks old. Was from a litter of 12. Brought him home and he is constantly whining so loud. I know he is in a new environment, but the ear piercing cry is getting to me.

I put him in an xpen while I am at work, had a lady come over and let him out once. Came home to him covered in poop and it all over the floor. Ugh. I went to give him a bath and I could hardly control him in the bathtub. He's only 8 weeks old. As he grows, how do I control this? I know he will need more baths. I only work 3 days a week.

He hates the leash. I let him drag it around the house, but he thinks it is just a chew toy. He will just sit and pull back if I try to take him for a walk. Suggestions.
He is just a baby, please remember this. He has only been alive for a few weeks. He does not know what to do, his attention span is short. He is scared and everything is new. He will get used to things like the leash with positive experiences and time. I know you are very frustrated, but keep it in perspective. Things will get better with proper training and patience. He is new to the world you have brought him into. Puppies are a challenge, and there will be times you will feel overwhelmed and impatient and want to lose your mind. But that's just a part of it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If it helps to relieve some of your stress any, dogs do not need to be bathed anywhere close to as frequently as a person. In fact with some dogs it is not recommended to be bathed more than once or even twice a month. Really only bathe him if he is dirty or smells bad.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Baby steps. Start working on potty training and getting used to the leash. All in a fun positive way. Make sure the pup spends positive time while your home in the x pen to get accustomed to being there. Walk out of sight and come back let her know that just because they can't see you you will come back. Lengthen time. Don't come back just cause they start whining. Everyone I know that has GSD's have all told me that they are just more vocal than most dogs. I was told to expect the pup to whine even when nothing is wrong. They called it singing. And my pup barks a lot more than my mix dog ever did. Patience. If you don't have any. Having a pup is a good time to develop it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it better to leave him in the xpen when I am at work or crate him? He will be going about 5 hrs in it between when my lady comes over to let him out. I am a nurse and I work 7-7, 3 days a week.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
why was there so much poop?

did the pup have diarrhea -- if so look into food, quality and timing , and water .

that much whining , for that long a period , might have a base of insecurity , low thresholds
in temperament .

information that you can give will help in finding a solution

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Pretty soon here, he'll be able to knock the xpen over unless you have it anchored somehow. Nothing that lets them potty in the house is ideal, but we have to go to work. I'd concentrate for a couple of weeks on getting him to potty when you take him out, not just when you think he has to go. Put him on your schedule and make sure he poops before you leave.

For right now, I'd just pick him up with the leash on him and just hold the leash when you have him outside. Use your voice and encourage him to follow you away from what you don't want him into. Don't think in terms of leash training him right now. The leash is only to stop him from something dangerous, but concentrate on telling him to go potty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is it better to leave him in the xpen when I am at work or crate him? He will be going about 5 hrs in it between when my lady comes over to let him out. I am a nurse and I work 7-7, 3 days a week.
Crate him. But don't expect him to be able to hold it for 5 hours yet.

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
With a puppy that young you can bathe in the kitchen sink rather than in the tub. Much easier!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was a lot of poop, but I think it was just soft stool. He just walked in and sat in it...got spread everywhere in the pen. that was the first time in the pen with me being gone.

What does a low threshold mean? Anxiety? How do I work through that?

I appreciate all the suggestions that everyone is giving me.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
There was a lot of poop, but I think it was just soft stool. He just walked in and sat in it...got spread everywhere in the pen. that was the first time in the pen with me being gone.

I wonder with that large a litter if the breeder was on top of keeping the pups area clean.

for him to walk through and sit in it ------ hmmmm.

a lot of poop ?
poor quality food with a lot of filler -- creates shaving cream foam volume --

the better the food the less the waste

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
He is on Victor food.

Does Victor have a food proper for large breed puppies? I like Victor very much but didn't think they did?

Crate him. Get a 36" crate with a divider. Give him just enough room to move freely. I think I started at about 1/2 the crate.

Take him out often so he doesn't have a chance to poop in the crate. Our puppies have always been able to go 4-5 hours. Maybe have your dog walker come in more often until you are past this?

And Steve's advice above....

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
It's hard, but ignore the whining. That is how he talks to you and tells you he's frustrated or wants something. I only let my puppy out of his crate or gave him attention when he was quiet and he eventually learned to stop whining constantly. It took a few weeks. Reward the quiet, ignore the whining.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

A threshold is just a point where he notices something, reacts to something, is bothered by something. Its part of their temperament. Anxiety can affect thresholds, and so can training to an extent. You'll be ok not worrying about that right now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts