German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Down has been easy with Duke. He immediately rolls over and wants a belly rub. Do anything for those belly rubs...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Down has been easy with Duke. He immediately rolls over and wants a belly rub. Do anything for those belly rubs...
Yep, I was getting bored with adding the verbal cues for down-from-stand and stand-from-down yesterday. So I taught him 'play dead.' it took 7 repetitions with a food lure and a belly rub for a reward. It is all about the quality of the reward!

After years of being a negative nancy.... I am starting to understand the alure of dog sports. Dog training is exhausting, but rewarding.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I use down for home life and platz for competition.
I always throw in a down on walks, hikes, on leash and off leash. I will do this always no matter the age. Same goes for “come” Training never ends.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I misread your post a little, but if he'll come to you to trade for a second tug, he may be ready to out and rebite the same tug. You wouldn't really have any use for food or anything else to trade at that point. Try something like tug, let him win, call him to you, tug, let him win- maybe 4 or five times, then freeze it- out him, and let him rebite and win. They generally progress pretty good from that point.
It took three X 20-minute play sessions and he learned 'out.' One to freeze him out. One to add the verbal cue. One for verbal cue only. On the first rep, I had to stand still as a statue for 4 minutes and 30 seconds with my hands braced against my legs. You could see his little doggy brain thinking, "What the heck, this isn't how the game is played."

He is neither fast nor reliable not does it generalize to anything but the tug... But now that the foundation is set we have loads of time to practice.

Even better, he thinks out is something associated with a reward, not associated with a correction as in, 'put the shoe down.'

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Eventually train him to lie down without rolling over. Otherwise, if you are in a situation where he isn’t comfortable rolling over, he may not lie down at all.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had been teaching my puppy down from a sit position. Then a video I saw said NOT to do that but teach down from stand. He said it could be “life saving”. I would like advice on which way to do it. Any advice may not matter, I may train her whichever way I feel like. But would like a few more pros and cons on it than just “life saving”.

Thanks!
Unless you live in a war zone its not a bid deal or if your in competitions i guess. I think it depends on what you want from him

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Not really but I wanted to know if it matters which way to teach her.
Something to consider, if you teach a down in a formal obedience through play/motivation you can use it anytime. I like to do it that way and then have a casual lay down similar to a place command so his down will basically always be quick.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts