German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed an overlooked tick from WD's neck. The skin had a lump, the size of a marble. I thought it was a stronger than average reaction so I guess I will have to put him on a tick repellent.
I hate to poison these healthy bodies with chemicals but for me ticks are deal breakers in that regard.
Any advice on what you are using? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I treat my yard with nematodes but when we go in the woods I use the preventic collar. Talked with Ladylaw about this (she is in Texas) and she clued me in on the idea it does not need to be on the dog full time even though it says so...so I am trying that this year...I will just leave it on for a day after....

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
The preventic is not a repellant but it is Amitraz - I struggled with it but after picking up 8 ticks in the lowcountry a few weeks ago....metering risks! amitraz paraylzes the mouthparts of the ticks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I feel same way about chemicals, if i can i would stop using everything. But the ticks are all over, and we are in woods every single day. I'm too searching for some other method of protection, but unless i find something that really works i'm worry to stop using adventix. Even with that and shots my boy already has lyme and the other tick born sickness.

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but unless i find something that really works i'm worry to stop using adventix. Even with that and shots my boy already has lyme and the other tick born sickness.
Does this mean you use Advantix? live in the woods and among grass fields.

·
Registered
138 Posts
We use Springtime Bug Off and also Cedar Cide. Bug Off is air dried garlic that we just add to their food and the Cedar Cide is an all natural spray..smells like cedar. It kills instantly and repels too.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We use Springtime Bug Off and also Cedar Cide. Bug Off is air dried garlic that we just add to their food and the Cedar Cide is an all natural spray..smells like cedar. It kills instantly and repels too.

Thanks! Googled it and this seems like a good option. How often do you apply it and where (the whole body?). How about after swimming or on rainy days?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I use Advantix II. I live in the mountains and have HEAVY ticks. I worry a bit about the chemical, but Rocket lives in the house with us, he lays on our furniture some, the kids' beds, etc. Plus, last spring we would pull a couple ticks off him even with the Advantix towards the end of the month. GROSS. And he had a couple lumps too, even though I always swab with rubbing alcohol and apply topical antibiotic ointment.

I seem to get about 3 weeks out of it, not quite the full month it says. After July, I can stop using it, as the 95-105 degree weather seems to really reduce the number and they die off. So it's only a few months of the year I have to use it.

Also, Rocket is a LSC, and he is VERY good about NOT licking. Due to the thickness of his fur, I apply it under his thigh, in his groin area, and then watch him carefully for a couple days, just to make sure he doesn't lick. I've also done it under his front "elbows", where he can't reach either, but the fur is less thick and you can find actual skin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use frontline. Only 2 to 3 times in the year. Spring then in 3 months. If ticks or I hear of people having major fea problems I give one more dose in the fall, if it stays warm. I have never had a bad reaction yet (knock on wood)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I recently started using Buck Mountain Parasite Dust (DE, neem, and yarrow).

The ticks are bad already this year.

Rudy only wears a collar when I walk him. The other day I sprayed his collar with Ark Naturals Neem and it was the first time in a week I didn't find a tick off him after a walk.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks! Googled it and this seems like a good option. How often do you apply it and where (the whole body?). How about after swimming or on rainy days?
Sorry I lost track of time and really busy with training :) Cedar Cide..I apply to the yard once a month unless its been super wet. I spray the dogs when we go walking hiking or swimming...or a bath. This stuff is so awesome and works amazing I will never go back to chemicals!!

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
Just ordered bug off from spring time. buy 2 get one free with free shipping thru the end of the month.
I had a tick crawling on me Sunday while I waited for my track to age...we had frost less than 12 hours before and it was still freezing out! Not a good start to the season.
I think I'll still use some essential oil's as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just ordered bug off from spring time. buy 2 get one free with free shipping thru the end of the month.
I had a tick crawling on me Sunday while I waited for my track to age...we had frost less than 12 hours before and it was still freezing out! Not a good start to the season.
I think I'll still use some essential oil's as well.
You are so going to love bug off!! I can say there is only one down side to it..garlic burps..and sometimes a garlic fart!!

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
I already give my dogs some garlic and they are use to getting a variety of food, so hopefully we won't be hearing how bad the breath is from the helper! Last time I trained, Karlo's helper said his breath was green tripy/ mist in his face! What those poor helpers have to deal with!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Karma, do you spray your yard with the BEST YET product, or PCO? Do they kill or repel ticks?
I'm mostly interested in getting rid of ticks and fleas, but mostly ticks.
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use frontline. Only 2 to 3 times in the year. Spring then in 3 months. If ticks or I hear of people having major fea problems I give one more dose in the fall, if it stays warm. I have never had a bad reaction yet (knock on wood)
That's my plan as well. My vet said that Spring and Fall are the times to use Frontline for ticks in this area and he has never seen a bad reaction.
My current dogs never had a flea in their lives. Honestly.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I get mine dogs the lyme disease vaccination to help a lot of worry about ticks

·
Registered
279 Posts
I get mine dogs the lyme disease vaccination to help a lot of worry about ticks
do not want to scare you but my dog had lyme disease vaccination and adventix II every month and still had lyme disease and anaplasmosis. i felt safe and did not see it comming at all for he was fine. vet find it out from blood on annual check up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts