German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Ecco on Purina Pro Plan kibble and canned since I first got him at 3 months old (we went from the puppy formula and now on the adult large breed). I know many of you have your thoughts and experiences for and against this brand. Lately, I 've noticed that Ecco is not as interested in his food as he used to be. Sometimes I have to hand-feed him a bit before he will start eating on his own. However, he doesn't finish eating and quickly loses interest. Now I'm wanting to find something that he will like and thrive on. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I have mine on Pro plan and I don't have a problem
Brady only eats once a day and No canned food.
but I am sure you will get lots of feed back

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I'm a big fan of Orijen. I also like Wellness. You need to buy those brands at a specialty store though. Taste of the Wild is also popular with lots of folks who have gsds.

What foods are available to you? Do you have a specialty store nearby? If so you can ask for samples of the high quality foods and see which ones your dog likes.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I don't feed kibble but I thought I saw a commercial where Wellness is now offered at Petco (might have been Petsmart but I think it was Petco).

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
wellness is available at petsupermarket. other good brands you can find at a regular pet store- blue buffalo (petsmart), natural balance (petco), and i think petco has solid gold?

i think i read somewhere that tractor supply carries taste of the wild. my feed store by my house carries it as well.

if you have a specialty pet store by you, there are many, many options!

what are you looking for in a dog food? specific ingredients? price? etc... that will really help narrow it down. and of course, your dog will have the final say

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, after I posted the topic I made a quick run to both PetSmart and PetLand (Petco went out of business over a year ago) and I started looking. I asked the guy at PetLand and he suggested Nutro Natural Choice. The people at PetSmart suggested the same one as well as Nutro Ultra, Nutro Max, and Blue Buffalo. Now I'm even more confused! There's a specialty feed store that I'll also check on today to see what they offer.

Ecco does not have any allergies so I don't have to worry about that. Ingredients are going to be a main factor and would prefer something that has a higher percentage of protein.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I wouldn't go by anything the petco/petsmart employees say, it's hit or miss whether you'll come across one who knows anything about nutrition or one who is just guessing.

That being said, I've heard good things about blue buffalo. If you want more choices try petfooddirect.com they offer decent prices and a large selection, plus the food is delivered to your door.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
From Petsmart/Petco/Etc my first choice would be Wellness then Blue Buffalo

Just my .02¢ as just a jill not a vet

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The specialty store did not have much of a choice in dog food so I went back to PetSmart and looked. I stayed in the Blue Buffalo area and noticed that they have one called Blue Wilderness, which is high protein and low carb. Does anyone use this one? What do you think about it?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I'm mixing it with Innova adult for my 9 1/2 month old GSD, and mixing it with Innova EVO for my two terrier mixes, and with Innova adult and EVO for my 14 year old.

India did great on just the Wilderness, but I'm trying to have something else to rotate with, hence the Innova (might try Fromm next).

~Kristin

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
our boy started out on Natural Balance kibble and Natural Balance can food mixed. then one day he stopped eating it. we switched to Wellness kibble and Wellness can. he loves it. we also add ground beef, chicken, yogurt (plain), and baby food. they like the mixes. we also have a Grey Hound. i don't think you should hand feed your pup. he might get use to it and want to be fed that way. try adding things to the food you use now. maybe your dog isn't eating because it's full or it's to hot. try different things. you'll find something he likes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried mixing tiny pieces of his favorite turkey sausage into his current food, but he would pick out only the sausage and leave the kibble behind. So I decided to try Blue Buffalo to see how he did and he likes it. I'm currently mixing 2/3 his current food and 1/3 Blue and he's doing well. He's eating the majority of his food at each feeding and I don't even have to hand feed him. Also, his poops are good so I think I'll continue doing the gradual switch with him.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts