German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to start my dogs on Salmon oil and was just wondering which you guys use? I have 6 dogs, so cost is an important, but not overriding concern. I was thinking about Grizzly Salmon oil or Iceland Pure - any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
648 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a difference between salmon oil made for human consumption and salmon oil made for dogs?

I take salmon oil caps and use the same for my dogs. I have been doing that for about a year with excellent results.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: DanoDoes anyone know if there is a difference between salmon oil made for human consumption and salmon oil made for dogs?

Good question. I used to give my dogs salmon oil and Vit E but could never see a difference over when they weren't getting it so I stopped. I gave "made for human comsumption" oils.

·
Registered
288 Posts
We give the Grizzly Salmon Oil. Here in Canada it is not cheap, would love to hear if the capsules that people take he can have.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I just finished a bottle of Iceland Pure. It was just fine.

I have NO IDEA whether it's working or not. I have my dogs on so many supplements that I cannot tell what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I image that salmon oil caps are in a concentrated form and you would have to eat a lot of canned salmon to get the amount that a cap has.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
We have used Grizzley and Alaskan Bear Treats Salmon oil http://www.alaskandogtreats.com/ ( I can get the bear treats local, Grizzley had to order.)
Both are fine, havent noticied a diff between the two, have never used the human oil caps, but do use the human form vit E for the dogs

I havent taken them off the oil, so not sure what would happen if I did, if anything (like dry coat ect) But both of our dogs, before the oil, had some issues with dry coats and dandruff, and improved shortly after starting a salmon oil. They do not currently get any other supplements besides this with their food (raw and some kibble, and an egg every other day or so)

I might actually try some "human" caps next month to see if I notice a difference, I am assuming not, but will see.

·
Registered
833 Posts
BowWowMeow You really should take a long hard look at Canine Complete this supplement really works and gives you all the supplements your dog will need in one convient form just sprinkle it on their food and in a couple of weeks you will notice quite an improvement in the overall well being of your dogs it will be very noticeble.
wwwthewholisticpet.com With that said the only other supplement I use is their their Salmon Oil.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Hi Larry,

I checked out the Canine Complete ingredients and believe it or not, except for the whiltefish, Chama is getting all of those from her other supplements. Thanks for the tip though, I'm sure other people might want to use it.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Originally Posted By: DanoDoes anyone know if there is a difference between salmon oil made for human consumption and salmon oil made for dogs?
In my opinion I think the biggest difference is 1) marketing followed by perhaps 2) quality.

As far as the marketing, people like buying things that are marketed towards dogs as to know the product is not harmful for dogs to use and that it comes with dosage instructions. It also provides the company a chance for the consumer to impulse buy as they will see the product in pet stores while doing other shopping. I think consumers find it reassuring to buy something for their dog that is made for dogs.

As far as quality, I bet in some cases, but not all, that the product ingredients are inferior. Just like when you read the ingredients in dog food and see turkey listed. It simply is not the same turkey you would feed for thanksgiving- but rather what ever turkey is left over after us humans have consumed all the good parts. This would be something to inquire the manufacturer about- where is the fish coming from and how is it processed. I bet it many cases it is coming from farmed fish

I use salmon oil for the dogs- human grade. The brand I like is Carlson's and I get it at vitacost.com as they seem to have the best pricing and shipping. It is important to me that the oil be 1) from wild caught fish and 2) tested by an outside lab to confirm purity and absence of contaminants like mercury, pcb, etc.

Other than lab assays, which if the company does them they would be happy to send to you, there is no way to control or confirm quality as supplements aren't regulated and you often get what you pay for. . .

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I also want my fish oil of choice to be 3) in capsule form as oxygen from a pump bottle can quickly compromise the quality of the oil.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Originally Posted By: natalie559I also want my fish oil of choice to be 3) in capsule form as oxygen from a pump bottle can quickly compromise the quality of the oil.
Ditto! And no one wonders why there's no salmon oil in a pump bottle for people? The bad (rancid) taste of the spoiled oil would make them barf. But dogs can't talk and you can't see the cell damage those rancid oils create.
I'd rather give a high quality controlled & tested (heavy metal, mercury and other poisons) human product- like you mentioned- and have a little inconvenience by administering the capsule, or no oil at all.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Know what? I have been using a pump thingy of Grizzly Salmon Oil that I had brought with me from USA. Grimm's coat looks shiny. But I think it was softer on the capsules from the pharmacy here!

I don't understand: The pump salmon oil wants me to use about 7 pumps for a jumbo-goof Grimm's size. But the human-intended capsules from the pharmacy, I think I use 2 - 3 per day for him. Is he getting enough with the 2 - 3 per day if I go to the capsules again? I need to be careful giving too much oil to him. I live on the 12th floor of a highrise with perversely slow elevators.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'd like to know about the number of capsules too. I'm giving Cassie just one a day (she's about 60 pounds)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts