German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are getting our puppy next week from the breeder... we have first (boy) choice after the breeder (she was going to keep 1 girl and 1 boy from the litter herself to train/show). I’ve been to visit the puppies twice, and on my last visit, when they were 6 weeks old, I told the breeder that my choice was the “purple” puppy and my 2nd choice would be the “blue” puppy. A few days ago she told she had decided to keep the purple for herself, so we would be getting the blue pup. She’s now just messaged, very sadly one of her older dogs has been ill the last few days, was eventually euthanised yesterday. She’s going to have very high vet bills, so won’t be keeping a boy puppy after all. So if we want we can have the purple puppy after all. My main criteria to the breeder was that I need a dog that will be right for my family (2 young kids). She thinks either the blue or purple will be great for me. I’m going to be picking up the puppy Thursday and will be making the final decision then... but now just on the looks (they are both very very cute!!) I’d be really interested in what everyone’s choice would be (obviously my final decision will come down to how the puppy interacts with me and my husband on Thursday)... but I’m just interested in what people look for when choosing a puppy (the looks, not the personality). First picture: left is blue puppy, right is purple puppy (at 6 weeks old). I have a pic of purple puppy now but since I don’t have one of the blue puppy- I won’t post it, so as not to give unfair advantage haha

·
Registered
579 Posts
Personally, I would never pick a puppy just on looks. Personality and attitude would be much more important to me. So I have no input for you.

I would ask the breeder as many questions as I could come up with about which pup would be better for my family. Also, if possible, I would take the children with me to see how the puppies react to them.

I hope the one you pick is perfect for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m definitely not picking the puppy on looks! As I said - we are going to make final decision on Thursday after another dose of puppy interaction with them. I’m just curious on what people look for when it does come to the looks... obviously I will be making decision on personality.
Unfortunately, I can’t bring my kids. It’s a long drive... but I’ve seen them interact with the breeders grandkids hence why it was narrowed down to the blue and purple initially.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Confidence, nerves, drive, energy, and desire for human interaction. I want a pup that isn’t scared of the world and shows curiosity. Ideally, the puppy will be unaffected by new experiences. They won’t breakdown and run away the first time they walk on a slippery surface for example. They don’t run and hide from loud noises. Ideally they would completely ignore if they were doing something else like playing tug, or they would show interest in it if they weren’t preoccupied. I also want a dog that loves to interact and play with people. I don’t want to see his caretaker have to beg for his attention. He doesn’t have to be that way with everyone. As far as energy and drive, I want him to have enough to excel at whatever I’m buying him for without being over the top. As an example, my youngest dog was described as high pack, high food drive, no stress from new sounds or surfaces. Good prey drive chases and bites, but then comes back for attention. All about his handler.

·
Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
If the breeder feels like either of the two puppies will work for your family, just sit with them again and listen to your gut. You’ll most likely be drawn to one over the other.

I show, so I probably look for different things (non-temperament) than someone wanting a pet. Dark pigment, dark eyes, movement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the breeder feels like either of the two puppies will work for your family, just sit with them again and listen to your gut. You’ll most likely be drawn to one over the other.
I was drawn to the purple one first (the pup on the right). I found him social, he wasn’t afraid, wanted to be with me - I liked how he interacted with the grandkids of the breeder. The blue pup was just as good though. Both pups stayed with me constantly on both my visits. Ultimately, the look of the purple is what swayed me (I liked the darker face). But both are gorgeous dogs!! Both had great temperaments! ... purple was my 1st choice but because breeder wanted him originally, I made blue my choice (but again, he’s just as good, so he’s no “consolation prize”). I don’t plan on showing the dogs (I won’t say never but I’ve never done it, and don’t think I’ll find the time/dedication with 2 kids/family/house). I do want to do canicross - so I’ll be doing a lot of obedience training with the dog before he’s capable of starting canicross training (it’s quite intensive so he needs to be at least 18 months!). But again, both dogs will be good candidates for that. Both were good with kids. It’s definitely going to be how my husband and I feel, and how the pups are with us on Thursday for us to make the decision. But it’s nice to hear what other people are looking for, so we can take all factors into consideration.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Probably purple since you were drawn to him. Also since the breeder wanted to keep him. Our first GSD puppy was supposed to be an 8 week old male. We went to pick him up, and found the breeder would not sell him to us. She claimed she wanted to keep him herself and just decided after she met us. Instead, she showed us a 12 week old female who she had started training as her own dog. The dog was perfect for young children. Afterwards, talking to people who knew her well, I realized that the male was too much dog for our situation and the female was just right. We were very fortunate the breeder was generous enough to make that decision for us. We also got a housebroken, partially trained and socialized dog. She did more with that puppy between 8-12 weeks than I ever could have. The point I am making with this story is that breeders who are tuned into their dogs tell you in different ways what you need to know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably purple since you were drawn to him. Also since the breeder wanted to keep him. Our first GSD puppy was supposed to be an 8 week old male. We went to pick him up, and found the breeder would not sell him to us. She claimed she wanted to keep him herself and just decided after she met us. Instead, she showed us a 12 week old female who she had started training as her own dog. The dog was perfect for young children. Afterwards, talking to people who knew her well, I realized that the male was too much dog for our situation and the female was just right. We were very fortunate the breeder was generous enough to make that decision for us. We also got a housebroken, partially trained and socialized dog. She did more with that puppy between 8-12 weeks than I ever could have. The point I am making with this story is that breeders who are tuned into their dogs tell you in different ways what you need to know.
Thanks for this! I’m definitely taking the breeders thoughts into consideration.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
btw... why did you originally want a male?

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
don’t get attached to the dark face, it will get lighter...and he’ll no longer be side by side with his littermate for comparison then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never had anything but males.

Same (I’ve only had males and that’s why I want one now) ... but a lot of people said girl dogs were better for families. I’ve not read anywhere really supporting that notion, but people have mentioned it to me. So was just wondering about the fact that your breeder switched you to a female from a male, and if that had anything to do with it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
With my first dog, I went to the breeder looking for a long coat male, but there was this tiny little girl who really wanted to be my friend. Guess who I took home? 5 years on, I visited a different breeder whom I knew well and a boy leapt across the pen to me. He pushed the other dogs out of the way. I felt an instant connection. The breeder said that he was her favourite but she couldn't keep him because of her older boy who wouldn't tolerate another male in the house, so she was keeping a girl. He's now 7 months and I'm so pleased I went with that first reaction.

Reactions: GSDnewbieNero

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With my first dog, I went to the breeder looking for a long coat male, but there was this tiny little girl who really wanted to be my friend. Guess who I took home? 5 years on, I visited a different breeder whom I knew well and a boy leapt across the pen to me. He pushed the other dogs out of the way. I felt an instant connection. The breeder said that he was her favourite but she couldn't keep him because of her older boy who wouldn't tolerate another male in the house, so she was keeping a girl. He's now 7 months and I'm so pleased I went with that first reaction.
I’m really so excited... I just want to fast forward to Thursday so I can see them again, and see if I still feel like purple is the right one for us! So excited for this little pup to come home with us 😆

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Same (I’ve only had males and that’s why I want one now) ... but a lot of people said girl dogs were better for families. I’ve not read anywhere really supporting that notion, but people have mentioned it to me. So was just wondering about the fact that your breeder switched you to a female from a male, and if that had anything to do with it.
They were Vom Kirschental dogs, strong herding drive and she probably felt the female was better suited with young children. My females have all been sharper dogs than my males, and more independent, but less of a one-person dog. That dog had less human aggression and was very social.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts