German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im confused which one to pick. my friend is moving to abroad for study and he his selling these puppies, which one should i get. i can only afford one.
Female

Male

·
Registered
672 Posts
they are both nice! which one more suits the way you live and your personality as well as your plans on how this dog will grow up. Does one have more prey drive, is that going to be an issue? Is one more clingy then the other, is that going to be an issue. Have you met and played with both? There is alot to go into this then just "looks" and male versus female.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Whichever fits your personality/living style best.

If one's high strung with a lot of energy like most GSDs and one's very laid back and likes to chill, and you're a couch potato, which would you get?

I wouldn't make a final decision based on some photos of the dogs. Ask the owner about their personalities and things like that.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
oh mercy.

Just from looking at them I say the female becuase she is looking right at the camera and her eyes look like she has good focus and great love to give.

The male sure is handsome but he's not paying attention at all (typical lol). He's also longer coated, more grooming requirements.

Which one to get depends on their actual personalities, not an outside opinion from looking at a couple quick snapshots.

Depends heavily on what you're looking for in a dog too.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
personally I'd go with the male

but agree with the above

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Never judge by looks first. Check the temperament. Do you like a more active or laid back dog? Is one harder and one softer? What can your friend tell you about these dogs and their parents? Are either even a good match for you at all?

Definitely don't get both. Save your money for training classes and vet bills.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
How old are these dogs? You have a four month old puppy, Shane?

I'd say, pass on this opportunity - Shane needs all your attention and time. Very hard to raise two young dogs together, you will have to keep them apart a lot, and spend a lot of one-on-one time with each so that they bond to you and not to each other.

That means about one hour a day of the tow of them together, then separate play time with you, taking them to classes separately, exercising them separatly, training them separately.

Some people can swing it, I did when I had a puppy - but it took ALL of my time! I did not do anything else for six months but play, work, train with my pup and then with my older dog, until pup was older. Then they still need a lot of one-on-one time.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im gonna be visiting them tom.. they are about 5 mon old. i already have a 4 mon old gsd. i really wanna get the female but she is gonna be coming into heat pretty soon. i never had a female b4 so have no clue how to handle them in heat plus i have a male puppy in same house. i would spay her right away but it cost around 250-300 n i wont be getting that much untill 2-3 months. and if i wait maybe someone else buy her, so im really confused

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Originally Posted By: alii would spay her right away but it cost around 250-300 n i wont be getting that much untill 2-3 months.
I think you should pass if you can't afford to spay her. She's lovely, I'm sure someone else will treasure her.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Raising two gsd pups at a time? Do you know what this means? I mean seriously? I don't think this is gonna be fair to your pup. You have four months old puppy and believe me you have a lot more than you think of. I think you really should think about raising two pups at the same time. Good Luck.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I am going to throw my two cents in.

I have experience having multiple young dogs, Cheyenne was 4 months older than DeeDee, DeeDee is 7 months older than Lakota. So three dogs that are within 11 months from oldest to youngest. I am self employed and work from home, so that helped. But I would never never do three again, not sure I would even do two again.

My dogs are good and well behaved, BUT I don't think that I was able to spend the time to bring them up to their full potential, whether that be just a pet or more.

Val

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I would also recommend passing. I got Kacie(she was 21 mos) when Onyx was 5 months, and Onyx didn't get the proper training I would have done w/ her if I didn't bring Kacie into the mix...I already had a 13 yr old, and it did help Onyx to not be so hard playing w/Clover, the old girl.
But in hindsight, I didn't give Onyx the time and focus I should have.
Focus on the puppy you have.

Does the breeder of these two know they are being re-homed?

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Since you already have a dog - I would probably lean toward the opposite sex as the one you have. Much more likly to get along I would think.

This after considering the personality as othersabove have described.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I've never had pups quite that close together, but I would agree that it's hard to spend enough time with each of them training, etc when they are so close in age.

I think there's another side to consider as well, although none of us ever want to think about it. My Max and Kelly were roughly 2 years apart. Kelly died when she was 10. Max was 12 when she died and he died about 2 years later. It was a lot of heart ache within a relatively short period of time. I tend to get my dogs at least 5 years apart now. It gives me the time to spend with each one as a young dog and I think it helps when they are seniors. You're not dealing with the care of 2 seniors at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I agree with johanna(and others),,,I have gone thru putting two dogs down TWICE within 6 months of each other..the last two being one year ago ...it was the 'worst', it's bad enough to lose one, but two (and my luck twice)...

I do have two aussies that are a year apart, Masi (gsd) will be 2 in a few months, and I am forcing myself to wait until she's atleast 4 to add another one to the pack.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
by looking at your posts about shane you seem to be new to breed and a caring owner.That said the two dog pics do NOT seem to be puppies.AND think if you are new to breed you should get at LEAST one GSD through butthead GSD teen years before moving on to double the trouble.Could be double the fun as well-but I vote on raise ONE puppy before you do it again

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: ali... i would spay her right away but it cost around 250-300 n i wont be getting that much untill 2-3 months. and if i wait maybe someone else buy her, so im really confused
IMHO maybe you should pass if your funds are so tight that you can't afford a $250/300 vet bill. You can never tell if your current pup might have an illness or emergency.

I think both pups are pretty!!!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Don't want to be a wet blanket, but I'd pass if I were you.

If you don't have enough to spay the female and have a 4 month old male...

Your male may need vet expenses (unplanned) and then the pup will be an additional expense.

Stick with one dog for now.

Two GSDs are like six of another breed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts