Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Solid Gold

Votes: 5 11.6%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After alot of reading and researching i came down to three Kibble Large Breed Puppy Brands. Below is listed which ones and how much i would get them for.

• Orijen Large Breed Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food (29.7-lb bag) $53.80

• Wellness Super5Mix Puppy Health Large Breed Formula Dry Dog Food (30-lb bag) $53.97

• Solid Gold Wolfcub Large Breed Puppy- Bison (33-lb bag) $48.02

So which would you choose for your puppy and why?

*I plan to feed only dry food*

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Nice price on the Orijen. Where are you getting it for that price? The best I've found online is about $58. There are two pet specialty stores near me selling bags for $62 and $68 each before tax.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice price on the Orijen. Where are you getting it for that price? The best I've found online is about $58. There are two pet specialty stores near me selling bags for $62 and $68 each before tax.
Well there's two places where i can get the Orijen from. One is a local mom n pop pet shop here in NYC for $50 and some change but problem is supply isnt always 100% sure, so if i cant get it there i would get it here online.

Orijen Large Breed Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food | PetFoodDirect.com

*says today only but that coupon is always there :p *

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Well there's two places where i can get the Orijen from. One is a local mom n pop pet shop here in NYC for $50 and some change but problem is supply isnt always 100% sure, so if i cant get it there i would get it here online.

Orijen Large Breed Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food | PetFoodDirect.com

*says today only but that coupon is always there :p *
Where in NYC? Manhattan? I'm about 30 minutes outside of Manhattan, but I'm there almost every day. Definitely share that tip because that's a great price.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coral Aquarium
75-03 Roosevelt Ave
Jackson Heights, NY 11372 (718) 429-3934

Like i said supply isn't always guaranteed but me and two other GSD owners have told the owner we expect to buy Orijen LBP 30lbs every month. The owner said he would start carrying more soon, So just give them a call.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Yeah... I'm not over in queens too much. That's over by long island city, right? I'm mostly in Manhattan, but hardly ever on that side of the river. Nice prices though... definitely take advantage.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah... I'm not over in queens too much. That's over by long island city, right? I'm mostly in Manhattan, but hardly ever on that side of the river. Nice prices though... definitely take advantage.
Its about 10-15mins from the City.

Yeah Orijen at this price makes it very hard to not buy and now with all the votes on it i'm going to get it.

Thing is i still have 75% full Wellness LBP 15lb bag of kibble, so do i continue with it till its done or use it to slowly transition to the Orijen?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i'm always switching brands of kibble
and can. i've never fed puppy food.
rarely do i feed my dog straight kibble.
i always mix something in the kibble.
i mix the kibble with, can food, chicken,
raw ground beef, rice, quiona, millet,
table scraps (depending), green veggies,
fruit, organic yogurt, salmon oil or 100%,
a variety of fish, olive oil and whatever else.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
After alot of reading and researching i came down to three Kibble Large Breed Puppy Brands. Below is listed which ones and how much i would get them for.

• Orijen Large Breed Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food (29.7-lb bag) $53.80
  • Wellness Super5Mix Puppy Health Large Breed Formula Dry Dog Food (30-lb bag) $53.97
  • Solid Gold Wolfcub Large Breed Puppy- Bison (33-lb bag) $48.02
So which would you choose for your puppy and why?

*I plan to feed only dry food*
I wouldn't use any of these. You are paying top dollar for no benefit. Neither of these foods have enough fat and Wellness & Solid Gold are really trash. The fat levels in those two are way way way to low. Protein level is too low as well. If you like the GA on Wellness & Solid Gold, then go to Costco. For half the price the Costco food is as good or better.

The best formula for any dog whether its a puppy or adult, small breed or large, is a traditional 30/20 type kibble. And frankly the best bang for buck are foods priced at $1lb.

Some foods are better marketed than others but there is virtually no evidence that foods in the $1.5 lb and up range are any better.

It depends a lot on where you live and what you can get close by. Driving around looking for dog food is silly.

·
Registered
877 Posts
If you can get Origen for that price, go for it! I've never seen it retail for less than $60 locally- that's a steal!

Quality wise, Origen is likely your best bet. The company who makes it, Champion Pet Foods, has a spotless record, own their own manufacturers (SUPER tight quality control), and ALL of the their ingredients are sourced locally in Canada (absolutely nothing from China or elsewhere). To make things even better, if you're into the who humanitarian thing, all of the meat that goes into their feed is free range, or wild caught (fish).

Saying that, Mulder came to me from his breeder on Solid Gold Wolfcub, and I don't really have any complaints. A good, albeit grain inclusive food for a better price than the Origen.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
If you can get Origen for that price, go for it! I've never seen it retail for less than $60 locally- that's a steal!

Quality wise, Origen is likely your best bet. The company who makes it, Champion Pet Foods, has a spotless record, own their own manufacturers (SUPER tight quality control), and ALL of the their ingredients are sourced locally in Canada (absolutely nothing from China or elsewhere). To make things even better, if you're into the who humanitarian thing, all of the meat that goes into their feed is free range, or wild caught (fish).

Saying that, Mulder came to me from his breeder on Solid Gold Wolfcub, and I don't really have any complaints. A good, albeit grain inclusive food for a better price than the Origen.
You call three recalls one of which was BSE spotless? How do you know about quality control? Have you been there? What are its certifications? AIB? EU?

Are you an expert on quality control?

And you are 100% wrong on everything being from Canada. All of the Chicken Meal comes from the United States, the same place where much cheaper brands buy it, same grade as well. Chicken Meal is the primary protein source in Orijen. Orijen kinda glosses over that in the warm and fuzzy video.

LOL

·
Registered
877 Posts
You mean three voluntary recalls that were handled swiftly and professionally whith 0 casualties to pets?

Yeah. Pretty spotless, considering the HUNDREDS of pets that died from the Menu food recalls? WHO HOO, IAMS AND ROYAL CANIN! Killing America's pets, one can of food at a time :D

·
Registered
877 Posts
How do you know about quality control? Have you been there? What are its certifications? AIB? EU?

Are you an expert on quality control?

And you are 100% wrong on everything being from Canada. All of the Chicken Meal comes from the United States, the same place where much cheaper brands buy it, same grade as well. Chicken Meal is the primary protein source in Orijen. Orijen kinda glosses over that in the warm and fuzzy video.

LOL
Are YOU an expert? Course, I should know better than to ask... of course you are.

Uh, sources please? I'd like to see where they're importing their chicken from.

ETA:

And to the point, even if they were sourcing their chicken from here... WHOOPTY FREAKIN DO.

Better than the slop many companies pull in from China and toss into their labels. If chicken from the US is the worst thing they're using in their food, then by all means... bring on the Origen!

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Are YOU an expert? Course, I should know better than to ask... of course you are.

Uh, sources please? I'd like to see where they're importing their chicken from.
There is a letter on here from a women named Bonnie from Orijen confirming this. You can search for it. It is the truth, sorry to disapoint you. One of the forum members requested the information and pasted the letter here.

And I said Chicken Meal, not chicken, Chicken Meal is the core protein in all the formulas. I am not saying its a bad thing I am just saying the company's marketing is highly misleading.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
UGH! :rolleyes2:

Both of you need a Time Out!

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
UGH! :rolleyes2:

Both of you need a Time Out!
I am right.

Derek,

Chicken meal is a good example. Although there are producers of chicken meal in Canada, none are capable of producing from chickens passed fit for human consumption and as such no Canadian chicken meal meets the European Union Pet Food Regulation 1774. At present, Canadian chicken meal is made with spent hens (from egg laying operations) as well as chickens that have died, but are not processed in a federally inspected facility, or were not passed as ‘fit for human consumption’ by the Government of Canada.

So, while our focus is “fresh and regional” our primary objective is always to achieve the highest standard in nutrition, palatability and food safety. Until chicken meal from human grade chickens is available in Canada, Champion will source its chicken meal from one of 2 USA chicken processors, whose chickens and facility are USDA certified, and who have the appropriate European Union qualifications (EU 1774).

ORIJEN is made with special 'low ash' chicken meal. This ingredient is prepared by removing the bones before cooking, which creates a very high protein and low ash ingredient. The result is a moderated amount of calcium and phosphorus in the final ORIJEN kibble. There are definitely different qualities of meat meals out there, just as there are many different grades of meat for you to choose from at your local grocers. If you start with ingredients that are mostly muscle meat (as is the case with our meat meals), this results in a quality meal that is very high in protein. most of the content of our meals will be muscle meat.

Best Regards,

Bonnie
Customer Care
Champion Petfoods LP
p 780.939.6888
f 780.939.6858

I also found an issue with the claim of "fresh, wild caught fish" that is impossible all year round because the salmon season is only about 3 months.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Well, then maybe someone needs to tell them to update their website, as they do clearly state that their chicken ingredients are sourced from "ALBERTA CHICKEN PRODUCERS".

Still does not tarnish my impression of the food.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
To answer your original question- I switched to Orijen LBP because I had been feeding Nature's Variety, and 'all life stages' food. But Stosh didn't seem to care for it- he loves the Orijen and is doing really well on it, great poops, lots of energy, enjoys eating for the first time in his life. I pay less than $40 in Dallas

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Well, then maybe someone needs to tell them to update their website, as they do clearly state that their chicken ingredients are sourced from "ALBERTA CHICKEN PRODUCERS".

Still does not tarnish my impression of the food.
There is a similar letter confirming my suspicion on the source of fish. By the way the BSE recall was not voluntary. Many people don't know that not long too long ago, Champion was a private label pet food producer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts