German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been stuck with this choice for so long and thought it's time to seek help elsewhere - no matter how much I read I still can't make up my mind so I need your opinions.

I am 22 years old and very active, I go out jogging every night/second night and love being outdoors at the weekend, so could offer any dog a lot of physical activity. Any dog I would get would be left about 6 hours in total by themselves each day, but this would be more than made up for with the amount of time they'd spend with me out of the house after my working hours - joining me on my runs, going to the park / country parks along from my place at nights and for a good 3 hours or more on Saturdays / Sundays.

The big decision I can't make is what breed would be better for me - a Rottweiler or a German Shepherd?

I have contacted breeders of both breeds and have narrowed it down to one breeder of each. The Rottweiler is from some great lines (Schwaiger Wappen parentage) and the GSD is from West German lines and everyone in their 5 generation pedigree is ScH3 titles with great health test scores.

Obviously I'd like my dog to join me in my activities but its also important that they can settle and not be constantly going, when I want to sit down on the couch after a day out walking or after my runs during the week, I want them to join me and be relaxed.

I'm torn to say the least, I like the eagerness to please of the GSD and their trainability and versatility, but I like how Rott's are more laid back.

Could someone PLEASEEE help me decide?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think you have to decide for yourself. maybe you could
find someone to come and give your dog a break instead
of leaving your pup created for 6 hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think you have to decide for yourself. maybe you could
find someone to come and give your dog a break instead
of leaving your pup created for 6 hours.
Should have mentioned - the 6 hours will be split into two, I have a dog walker who will come in and take a puppy out once or twice a day if needs be and have this arranged already.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
do you have any experience with either breed? Owned one before? Have you met the parents of either dog?

I think what you have in mind time wise, would work for either breed.

My suggestion if you haven't met either dogs I would go meet them in person.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Comparing the two breeds, I think Rottweiler = Linebacker, GSD = Quarter Back.
Rotties can move, but their bulk may affect their health (joints/hips) in the longrun and wouldn't necessarily consider them a running partner.

I think it's a good idea to go out and meet a few good specimens of each breed, talk to breeders and then make your decision.

·
Registered
75 Posts
actually i have owned both. rotties are awesome. extremely loving. great family dog. as an athlete, they are much shorter on endurance compared to a GSD. strong bursts of energy but not for the long haul. i have a GSD pup now but owned another about 20 years ago. again a loving dog, great for my family, more guard instinct than a rottie.

my former GSD was female alpha and was quite a handful. her stance, her gaze all screamed alpha. my current pup is much more submissive and agreeable. i do believe i like it better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is a choice I just went through! I love both breeds, but I obliviously went with Shepherd and I am really happy with my choice! She is active loves to go on runs and walks, and she loves to cuddle although I have heard that they are not generally like that!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
If you're looking for a running partner it would seem like a GSD might be better for that?

Although keep in mind if you are getting a puppy, it will be quite a while before they should be jogging with you, that type of exercise is very hard on growing joints.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I made the same choice 7 years ago, and I am so happy I got a GSD! They are just so versatile-we compete in agility and nose work, and have done some herding, tracking, and Rally-O.

If you're looking for a versatile, athletic dog, I'd go with a GSD. With either breed, health testing the parents is of course important, as is socializing the puppy. And as someone else mentioned, it will be a while before the puppy could go running with you.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
GSD gets my vote. Rottie would be nice and strong if you wanted something pulled. But running, I say GSD. This comes from a lady who has not run in 30 years. Cannot wait until I can run again.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Also, what part of the country do you live? I'm in Georgia and have had Rotties and GSDs. The Rotties are much more affected by the heat and tend to avoid going outside during the summer during the day, I always had to do my training early morning or late in the day.
Both are great choices, so you need to go with your gut if all else fails :D.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Really just depends on the lines and the dogs in question from each breeder. Not really fair to generalize the whole breed. I've seen plenty of Rotties that could run just as much as the human would push them, and their size and generally less energy does tend to make them settle better.

It sounds like your main goal is a pet, but a pet that gets a lot of exercise. Both breeds/dogs would excel at that. If you haven't owned either breed, its hard to say what would fit your life better as both dogs are quite similar and you'll probably adjust your life accordingly to both. Neither pup will be able to do 5-10 mile hikes/jogs until they're at least a year old and you could condition either dog to jog that type of distance.

Most people here will tell you GSD...post the same question on a rotty forum and I'm sure you'll get mostly rotty responses. I suggest going and watching the breeder's dogs work, and do what ever sport the breeder participates in. You'll really get to know the personality of the dogs and then have a better picture of what the difference will be between the pups of the two breeds.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I love Rottweilers. From my experience they are extremely layed back, gentle and loving. Our German Shepherd is not at all gentle or layed back :) but is very loving.

He requires a great deal of exercise and mental stimulation. So, I think a GSD would fit your lifestyle and energy better than a rottie and vice versa. But whatever you decide, you cannot go wrong. They are both awesome breeds. Good luck with your decision! And keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If you choose Rottie pm me. If you're in my area I know an AMAZING Rottie breeder who is going to have a litter soon. Her dogs are AMAZING dogs, imported from Germany, wonderful. She is the only Rottie breeder in the country that I would consider. :)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Obviously I'd like my dog to join me in my activities but its also important that they can settle and not be constantly going, when I want to sit down on the couch after a day out walking or after my runs during the week, I want them to join me and be relaxed.

I'm torn to say the least, I like the eagerness to please of the GSD and their trainability and versatility, but I like how Rott's are more laid back.

Could someone PLEASEEE help me decide?
Ok I reread your post and I need to clarify my previous statement. After Mac gets his required exercise he is able to relax and just chill with us. We all come in the house and he lays at our feet or on the couch.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
For anyone that thinks Rotties are laid back...you're probably thinking of American bred Rotties. That breed has the same issue the GSD has with a very wide difference between the temperament and size of a German line dog and an American line dog. I've seen Rotties worked in Schutzhund...and they did just as well as GSDs. Wonderful drives for protection and obedience. Tracking is a bit harder as they have shorter snouts but they are still able to do that.

If you get a German lined rottie...you'll end up with a dog that has just as much drive as an equivalent GSD that is bred to do that type of work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts