German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
10,628 Posts
i don’t have the patience to inspect every photo to see which puppy is which or identify repeats…. so in the absence of a full litter photo that shows each puppy clearly…these are my picks for long coats.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Mammal Collar
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

…might be the same pup? and yes, the littermates appear to be blue & tan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i don’t have the patience to inspect every photo to see which puppy is which or identify repeats…. so in the absence of a full litter photo that shows each puppy clearly…these are my picks for long coats.
View attachment 587351 View attachment 587352
…might be the same pup? and yes, the littermates appear to be blue & tan.
Yes! That is the same pup. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The breeder should be able to tell. If you are interested in a well bred litter that should be long coat, I can provide that info to you.
The breeder isn’t sure which ones are short and long. He told me that he guessed the blue and tan female was long and also the black and tan. I am interested in a well bred litter if you can provide the info!

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Is there a reason why not knowing the difference is bad? They showed me DM and MDR1 testing and both were cleared
Breeding is so much more than throwing two dogs together.
You need to know the pedigrees, know which dogs bring what, know what bitch will best complement the dog, know which traits to seek and which you don’t want (and how to achieve this,) understand what you are producing, on on and on.
If this guy doesn’t even know the difference between a stock and LC puppy, what else doesn’t he know?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Also, they can easily DNA test for coat length, and know which one is what. Yes, it cost's $$ to do so.

Reactions: Harleypup

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
hard to tell when they are that little. Why do you want a long hair, I cannot imagine anyone going out of their way to have a long hair. You're new so I'll overlook it <G> but long hairs are a PITA. They shed 3 times as much, are dirty and matted, (all that 'stuff' on the lawn sticks to them) and need their behind's cleaned occasionally. I love our Duke but I have no idea what I was thinking when I thought he was perfect. This:
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Jaw Snow

grew up to be this:
Dog Carnivore Liver Felidae Small to medium-sized cats

and this: Dog Wood Flooring Floor Fawn

Welcome to the forum ! get a normal coat. Your vacuum will thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hard to tell when they are that little. Why do you want a long hair, I cannot imagine anyone going out of their way to have a long hair. You're new so I'll overlook it <G> but long hairs are a PITA. They shed 3 times as much, are dirty and matted, (all that 'stuff' on the lawn sticks to them) and need their behind's cleaned occasionally. I love our Duke but I have no idea what I was thinking when I thought he was perfect. This:
View attachment 587353
grew up to be this:
View attachment 587354
and this: View attachment 587355

Welcome to the forum ! get a normal coat. Your vacuum will thank you.
I don’t have experience with a LC shepherd but I did have a normal coat shepherd and I also currently have a german shepherd / border collie mix. She sheds like crazy seasonally and I find clumps of fur everywhere. I’m not sure how similar it is compared to a LC. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Breeding is so much more than throwing two dogs together.
You need to know the pedigrees, know which dogs bring what, know what bitch will best complement the dog, know which traits to seek and which you don’t want (and how to achieve this,) understand what you are producing, on on and on.
If this guy doesn’t even know the difference between a stock and LC puppy, what else doesn’t he know?
That’s true. Thanks for the advice! I’ve never bought from a breeder before. All my pets have always been from the shelter but I have certain traits/breeds that I want that seem hard to come by

·
Administrator
10,628 Posts
I don’t have experience with a LC shepherd but I did have a normal coat shepherd and I also currently have a german shepherd / border collie mix. She sheds like crazy seasonally and I find clumps of fur everywhere. I’m not sure how similar it is compared to a LC. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it
Buck seems to have had a somewhat unique experience with LC’s. Duke is also part Samoyed which could play a roll.

My long coats have seemingly shed less than my stock coats (hair tends to mostly stay on the dog until raked out), got no dirtier, i very rarely found mats, and the only time i had to clean anyones behind was 1-2 times when Tilden has a senior, not as mobile and had loose stools. if you like long coats… absolutely get a long coat 😉 there’s nothing more beautiful imo.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Snout Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
To be fair, Duke is an extra extra long;)coat

Too true. We think he's part Sasquatch, only possible explanation. Except for that 'primate' description, he comes pretty close to a small sasqautch:
Sasquatch is variably described as a primate ranging from 6 to 15 feet (2 to 4.5 metres) tall, standing erect on two feet, often giving off a foul smell, and either moving silently or emitting a high-pitched cry. Footprints have measured up to 24 inches (60 cm) in length and 8 inches (20 cm) in width.

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
582 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Fodder, LCs hair tends to stay on the body so you can brush it out, but my boy, who is a stock coat, sheds like crazy! I have to clean out from behind his crate every few weeks and end up pulling out a whole animal I swear. I'd get a nice well-bred LC, im sure you'll fall in love, thats what I have planned for my next pup a few years down the line

1 - 19 of 19 Posts