German Shepherds Forum banner

Which GSD do you feel is more affectionate, males or females?

• Male GSD's are more affectionate.

Votes: 41 59.4%
  • Female GSD's are more affectionate.

Votes: 28 40.6%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
I didn't vote, because I think it depends on the dog more than the sex. My only GSD was female and very affectionate. My other dogs of various breeds were - 2 males and the rest female. They were all equally affectionate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
neither

id say labs
You are probably quite right. I do not mean to give everybody the wrong impression thinking I am looking for or expecting an over-the-top lover such as a Lab, Pug or a Golden Retriever. Actually that is a bit much for me.

I love so many, many things about German Shepherds and I am just hoping to get one who is considered highly affectionate within the variation of this particular breed.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
In my house, it's my male.

But my dogs are two totally different 'type' of dogs. My female is go-go-go, rough and in your face, while my male is a sensitive, affectionate, couch potato. ;)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have a female who's a total mama's girl!

I really do think it depends on the dog though. And nothing wrong with Labs either! I'm the black sheep of my family getting a GSD, everyone in my family has had Labs! lol

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I've had seven GSD's all male except for our current young lady. The female, at least Maggie, has been the most affectionate.

Actually, she had us--my wife and me--worried that she may be too affectionate, and not showing normal ...stand back to be introduced..attitude that our other males had shown. She on the other hand would greet everyone with, tail wagging sign excepting total strangers. However, since she has grown older...currently 3...she is more reserved with strangers.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Can't vote either ... I have had both and it just depends on the dog, not the sex of the dog.
Kat
I missed out on the edit time first go around...wanted to add that currently we have 2 females.

One is independent and rather ' aloof'. She's friendly enough but not a love bug, per say. You can love on her for a few minutes then, she'll go off by herself when she's had enough.

The other is a true love bug...has to touch all the time, likes being close.
She will sleep with you, on a pillow if you let her. She wants to be in your lap all of time and I'll never be able to go shower alone again ... a true 'Velcro' dog.

...but, I still don't think it has to do with the SEX of the dog. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also think it has to do with the gender of the person. We always grew up with females in the house (not GSDs, just mixes) and they were always more affectionate with me and my dad but still protective of the girls, but now that I have a boy...he definitely sleeps more on GFs side of the bed than mine ;)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Sorry - I didn't vote - I think it depends upon the dog. That being said - I've seen very few GSDs that are not affectionate. :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.