German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My German Shepherd is great with my kids, but he is eye to eye with them and they are missing out on all the fun aspects of having a pet because they all act like littermates. So my question is what breed of dog would you get so that the kids can walk/train/etc? My GSD does LISTEN to my children very well but its not the same for them, they are 3 and 6 but are very responsible and would love a dog I just don't even know which breeds to look into (for next year for the birthdays) We currently have an Australian Cattle Dog that we rescued but he is a working dog not a pet in the typical sense and his personality doesn't lend to doing the bidding of my small children. And our newest German Shepherd who is only a few months old but is house broken, gets along with everyone, socialized, and is learning the ropes very well. He is not the wild crazy pup you guys all seem to have :blush: so I know I'm lucky there.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I think they are missing out on the "fun" aspects of having a pet because they are to young to understand what all the pet can do. If you ask them what the fun aspects of having a pet is, you might be surprised at the answer. :)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Two good rules of getting a dog:

1) Don't get a dog for your dog
2) Don't get a dog for your kids, at least until they're over 12. It will end up being your dog.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
They're young. My boys are 4 and 5. My 4 year old adores the dog, the 5 year old couldn't care less ;) And, when Spongebob is on it becomes "what dog?".

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Another good rule for getting a dog: If you are not set on a particular breed, but you are looking for a nice pet, shelters and rescues are full of potential wonderful dogs, mixes and pure-breeds, all sizes and types. Exaclty what you were looking for, and doing the world some good to boot by giving a throw-away jewel a good home!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand it will be my dog. :D But it will be for them to enjoy. Just like the Wii is mine but is for them to play with. They are really cool kids. They prep their clothes the night ahead, pack their lunches, make their beds, and have been doing feeding chores either with chickens, turkeys, dogs, or cats since they could walk. :cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and we foster for the local animal control and my kids are wonderfully helpful with that. They are good, kind, patient kids. They just want a "kid size" dog.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Why can't the GSD be their dog also? A well trained GSD should be great with the kids - our son grew up with nothing but GSD's in the house. They were great with him.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Are you just looking for a smaller breed of dog so your kids can walk it? What exactly you do want your kids to do with the dog? I'm just trying to get a better idea of what you're looking for.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why can't the GSD be their dog also? A well trained GSD should be great with the kids - our son grew up with nothing but GSD's in the house. They were great with him.

My GSD is great with them. But he will be looking them square in the eye soon enough and they would like something that is "kid sized".

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you just looking for a smaller breed of dog so your kids can walk it? What exactly you do want your kids to do with the dog? I'm just trying to get a better idea of what you're looking for.

They would like to be able to walk it, play with it, have it hang out with them etc but have it be "kid sized" that's what they say when asked. I think they want to snuggle with a dog and build their confidence with a dog. They are not huge kids, in our collective family we have a great dane, huge lab (therapy dog) our GSD and an ACD. Some here some are my dad's dog. ALL these dogs outweigh one or both of my kids. I imagine at their age its a bit intimidating you know? Lorelei would like to do some kind of therapy dog work but it can't be a dog 2x her size its just not a safe or feasible option. No matter how well trained a dog is I would like a smaller dog to have my 6 year old "in charge" of in a therapy environment. Since those environments are unpredictable. We have multiple certified therapy dogs at my work and you simply can't prepare them for every single instance (most yes). But anyways they want one they can be CONFIDENT in controlling/training, confident on their own not just by my reassurances.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I can't see a 3 yo or even a 6 yo being able to physically control even a Corgi if the dog is not well trained to begin with. I would think that almost any dog except maybe for the very smallest would be physically too much for such young children even for a few more years.

What are you refering to when you said above that it wouldn't be "safe"?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
If I were you I would get a breed that you like. I personally feel that a 3 & a 6 year old are way too young to get a puppy. You are going to be the one doing all of the work so you need to find a breed that is smaller that you will like too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't see a 3 yo or even a 6 yo being able to physically control even a Corgi if the dog is not well trained to begin with. I would think that almost any dog except maybe for the very smallest would be physically too much for such young children even for a few more years.

What are you refering to when you said above that it wouldn't be "safe"?

All I mean by safe is that if something frightened a small dog (under 20lbs) Lorelei would be able to react and have strength be on her side. A GSD, not so much. I understand that all dogs would need to be trained, and I'm not expecting my kids to train them, just to be able to feel confident with them. Now my 3 year old, um no he can't be expected to control a dog. Maybe I parent way differently then everyone? I'm not sure. Lorelei has walked many foster dogs for socialization but they are all puppies that grow up to be big dogs....

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
since your gsd is so good with your kids already, I would have the kids start working on obedience with her,,like leash walking, when I was a kid I wanted a BIG dog, and always had gsd's in the family, there was nothing like having a big dawg for a buddy when your a kid..

However, IF they are set on a smaller version,,I like corgi's, they are very gsd like in small package,,OR how about a mini aussie:)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I would adopt a young adult dog. You'll know the size and personality and shelters and rescues are full of dogs that are exactly what you're looking for.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I would adopt a young mutt or a puppy.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Look at the video on my profile, I have a 3 and 5 year old and just keep them involved in my GSDs training, she respects them already and even will not pull the leash when they walk her...they all love each other very much. Before we got Blitz we got a small dog for them to enjoy and ended up with a few nips, smaller dogs can sometimes be intimidated by young children.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Beagles often do well as kid dogs because they are playful, generally friendly and pretty tolerant. Also very food motivated. It doesn't hurt that they retain a puppyish look into adulthood :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts