Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (mixed - please elaborate)

Votes: 3 4.2%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a friend and a fellow German Shepherd enthusiast about bloodlines and traits that I was looking for in my next puppy/dog. I have a folder with information and lists with examples of what I am looking for. I read off the list of traits and he had a totally different recommendation for me that the route I was going based on what I am looking into. I find it quite hilarious that two people can have totally different perspectives based on the same information. This person has been around German Shepherds for a long time and has trained with them for a while too.

I thought it would be fun to see what lines (Czech, WG, DDR, WG Showline, Am./Can. Showline, etc.) YOU would recommend to me based on my research. Some of you already know what I am looking into so try not to give it away for the others ‘playing’. In a day or so I will reveal my preference and the recommendation of my friend.

1. Strong nerved
-

2. High thresholds
-

3. Toy motivated
-

4. Food motivated
-

5. Biddable
-

6. Clear headed
-

7. Motivated to work/Eagerness to work
-

8. Not *too* prey driven
-

9. Smaller sized
-

10. Able to work in multiple avenues such as SchH (main goal), agility and possibly confirmation.

These are the few things that are most important to me. I can elaborate on each if you wish but I thought this would give people an idea as to what I am looking for.

Okay, let the guessing begin!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I know what you've been leaning towards so I won't vote. I am guessing your friend suggested ****edited out***

Oops! saying that would give away one thing you were not looking into and ruin the fun for some people :hammer: Sorry

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I put DDR, because I think they might have what you are looking for. =)

·
2,967 Posts
I would pick a more moderate pup in a West German Working line litter. About the only qualifications my West German dogs didn't match was the high threshold in prey. I would say that mine tended to have a lower threshold in prey...however that made the need for early drive building activities almost non-existent. It was easier to focus early on impulse control without ever being concerned about squashing the drive. My 66lb male is a dream to train and I'm planning on starting agility this summer with him.

Although I imagine what you want to find can be found in any dog and it will depend ALOT on what is being produced at the breeders you are looking at rather than the actual lines.

Sounds to me like what you want to avoid is a Sharp dog.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I would go with a W/German/Czech cross, if the pairing was compatible. Look at the female first for the criteria above, then the males attributes.
My WG/Cz x is exactly what you posted, except for.... #9 and #10 (size :blush: )

·
Registered
31,971 Posts
I said West German Showline.

My little Odessa has an awesome toy drive, is VERY biddible, has a schutzhund title, has great nerves, good with people, I do not think too much prey drive. She is simply perfect. I can show her too if I want.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If your goal is SchH and you are not very experienced then nicely balanced West German Working lines. I answered DDR (surprise, surprise :)) but then I saw SchH as a main goal.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I was talking to a friend and a fellow German Shepherd enthusiast about bloodlines and traits that I was looking for in my next puppy/dog. I have a folder with information and lists with examples of what I am looking for. I read off the list of traits and he had a totally different recommendation for me that the route I was going based on what I am looking into. I find it quite hilarious that two people can have totally different perspectives based on the same information. This person has been around German Shepherds for a long time and has trained with them for a while too.

I thought it would be fun to see what lines (Czech, WG, DDR, WG Showline, Am./Can. Showline, etc.) YOU would recommend to me based on my research. Some of you already know what I am looking into so try not to give it away for the others ‘playing’. In a day or so I will reveal my preference and the recommendation of my friend.

1. Strong nerved
-

2. High thresholds
-

3. Toy motivated
-

4. Food motivated
-

5. Biddable
-

6. Clear headed
-

7. Motivated to work/Eagerness to work
-

8. Not *too* prey driven
-

9. Smaller sized
-

10. Able to work in multiple avenues such as SchH (main goal), agility and possibly confirmation.

These are the few things that are most important to me. I can elaborate on each if you wish but I thought this would give people an idea as to what I am looking for.

Okay, let the guessing begin!

Sounds like what you are looking for is what many of us would say is a true standard GSD - regardless of what "line" it comes from.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Jason I've been meaning to ask, what is Ike? I'm thinking WGWL but can't remember:crazy:
Even though he is from Belgium, he is mostly West German with a bit of Belgium tossed in there on the mother's side. He has a tiny tiny tiny bit of DDR on the Father's side (Lord).

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Even though he is from Belgium, he is mostly West German with a bit of Belgium tossed in there on the mother's side. He has a tiny tiny tiny bit of DDR on the Father's side (Lord).
Thanks! I knew he was from Belgium, also remember you almost got a Malinois..silly Jason;)

I really love Ike. He is more than I could handle, maybe someday :)

Sorry for going off topic Elisabeth.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ike is my doggy crush - I love that boy!!!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Thanks! I knew he was from Belgium, also remember you almost got a Malinois..silly Jason;)

I really love Ike. He is more than I could handle, maybe someday :)
It's okay, Brandi. Ike is more than Ike can handle sometimes.

Funny - someone else today just reminded me that I almost went for a malinois! Almost!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I put WGWL...but I think it all depends on the dogs in the pedigree! I think a mix would be good (Belgian/WG, Czech/WG, etc) if it has the right dogs in it.

That's all I'll say since I have a pretty good idea of what you're looking for :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put WGWL...but I think it all depends on the dogs in the pedigree! I think a mix would be good (Belgian/WG, Czech/WG, etc) if it has the right dogs in it.

That's all I'll say since I have a pretty good idea of what you're looking for :)
Yes, I think you of all people (and a couple others) know exactly what I am looking for. ;)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Okay, so the friend suggested West German Showline. Nothing against them, I love them and have up until Stark owned only that. My beautiful Beau (RIP) was a gorgeous WGSL.

BUT..

For my needs, goals and what I am looking for.... I am looking for a cross of either Czech and WG working line or Czech and some Belgain with possibly a little DDR thrown in for good measure somewhere.

I am not really looking at 'bloodlines' per say anymore as I realize it's the dogs in the pedigree (especially close up) that really "make the dog" so currently I am looking into matings in the next year or so that will happen with dogs that I like and I think will fit into my life and help me achieve my goals. :)

I just find it so interesting that someone can have such a different opinion based on the same information. I was very curious to see what others would suggest. If they would suggest "their own" (the line they own) or if they would suggest something different.

@ Codmaster - yes, I realize it seems I want the "ideal standard" and in a way you are right. I am looking for a dog who can live comfortably with me and mine (Stark and the cats) and be comfortable out and about in public (this is big for me) and yet kick some @$$ out on the field too! :)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting! Well, again, perhaps because I already know that's NOT what you want...it wasn't even a consideration.

Stark is an excellent WGSL cross I think. Maybe it's that and the DDR...but you aren't 100% satisfied with what you have and want more intensity overall than what you have...sooooooooo :)

I think you tested the waters with Stark and are ready to move onto a dog that kicks it up another notch!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
For my needs, goals and what I am looking for.... I am looking for a cross of either Czech and WG working line or Czech and some Belgain with possibly a little DDR thrown in for good measure somewhere.
I am really interested in this thread too as I am looking for the same things you are. I, however, have a dog with the drive to work and speed and all of that but he's reactive and a prey monster - I want HIGH HIGH HIGH thresholds. I want my TD to work his butt off to teach the game but then I want the dog to excel. I also want to do multiple venues - conformation would be fun but specifically flyball, agility, dock jumping and rally and ob.

I am really looking at WG/Czech because they have a lot of what I like. But, I don't know if I want the sharpness I have heard the Czech line can throw. I LOVE the look of full DDR dogs but I think overall they are way to large to excel at some of the things I enjoy doing.

I know the maturity rates are different for the different lines and I still don't know exactly what I want in that case - waiting to see how Madix pans out as an adult to draw more conclusions.

Jason - and who would that person who mentioned the Malinois be?? haha ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts