German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I want to try a few AKC obedience events for my Schutzhund dog. I know they are different but I also know he's ready for the Novice and Open classes.

here's my question, do I have to follow the ranks up or can I just sign up for whatever class I want to trial for?

Like without any AKC titles (except CGC), what's my next trial? Novice? Beginner Novice (can I skip this one?), Can I just sign up for Open?

Sorry, but I'm just not too sure, so any guidance here will be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
You can sign up for either beginner novice or novice. If you want to, you can skip beginner novice and sign up for novice. You do need to earn the CD in novice before you can sign up for open.

Have fun! :)

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Also you have Novice A and Novice B,,if you have never titled a dog in AKC before, you have to sign up Novice A:)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Maybe it would be a good idea to get a copy of the "Rules & Regs." from the AKC. I usually have a copy of Obed. and Agility Regs. in my car. Never know when they might come in handy. You don't want to throw away a wonderful performance because you didn't know the rules. I've see agility runs that were perfect, end up as a NQ because the handler messed up by not knowing the rules.
It would also be a good idea to take lessons from someone who has titled a few dogs in AKC. And before you take the plunge into an AKC trial, get yourself to a few matches or show n go s. I've found them to be very important in preping a dog and handler for a trial.
Most of all have fun. :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
I see you are in NY, you can check out "The Match Show Bulletin"
on line.
It lists matches, trials, classes, seminars, all sorts of dog training stuff for the north east.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I 2nd reading through all the rules and regulations. There are quite a few differences in rules between AKC & Schutzhund, like how many commands you can use (you will automatically NQ for giving more than one command in some exercises), how about turns are exectuted, etc, etc.

AKC Rules and Regulations

1 - 7 of 7 Posts