German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a conversation with my neighbor today (good friend) and he told me that he almost shot Kain yesterday! :eek: I couldn't figure out what he was talking about because Kain is never far from my side or out of my sight. He went on to explain that he had mistaken Kain for a coyote. He had my boy in his scope crosshairs, about to pull the trigger, when he realized that Kain was a little too dark to be a coyote, so he lowered his rifle for a better look and that's when he saw me coming over the hill. You see, me and my boy go arrowhead hunting in the field across the road (old indian campground) that has a broad hill in the center of it. He saw Kain running ahead of me before I had cleared the hilltop, this is why he hadn't seen me yet. Kain enjoys it because I can let him off leash to run and not have to worry about traffic or other dogs messing with him, never thought to worry about neighbors. Neighbor has been having alot of problems with coyotes lately and has shot 3 of them on his property this week! Guess I'm going to have to get Kain a blaze orange vest for our outings, may get one for myself as well. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I would definitely get yourself BOTH blazers! That is waaay to close of a call! Thank goodness your neighbor was not one of those shoot first and ask questions later types. Hate to think what would have happened if he had shot and missed and it hit you instead.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
yikes that was close. I would defiantly get Kain a bright orange vest. I'm glad your neighbor realized that it was a dog and not a coyote.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Good Lord! Yes, get a vest. Ruffwear makes a nice one. My dogs are never off leash without one.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I actually just ordered an orange balzer for Stark for this very reason - we hike almost daily.

That is super scary! I would definitely purchase a blazer for him!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
this is what my coyote wears out in the woods:) She prefers pink:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Both Angus and Freyja have orange vests for this reason. We don't want to take the chance of a neighbor realizing that they were dogs too late. The dogs know that seeing the vests means we are going on a hike and if we say "time for your capes" they go nuts.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'd also be worried about all those coyotes!

I like this highly reflective orange vest from Glow Dog because it works at night too:

·
Registered
8,913 Posts

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Please be careful, we do not want to lose either of you.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
BUT..............If something DOES happen to you, can I have Kain?

I call dibs.

:p

How very thoughtful of you...but I think I might be closer...pick me!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Gary I almost had the same thing happen!!! I wasn't as nice as you though....how can you mistake a shepherd for a coyote? It baffels me?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
So glad you're both ok! I worry about this when I hike with my dogs as well. I always hope that the big rabies tag and ID tag will be a giveaway, but you never know. Might have to invest in some vests.

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
Glad your neighbor let you know about the possible issue, and that no one got hurt. The vest is a great idea, but I have a stupid question.

I train my dogs around distractions, but not around coyotes, so if one of my dog saw a coyote, I am not 100% sure I could call them back. Do you have a plan for if your dog decides to take off after a coyote? I hear about calling dogs off of deer all the time, and well, I might be able to do that. But if a coyote turns and fights, how do you break that crap up? I am thinking rabies shots all around.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Glad your neighbor let you know about the possible issue, and that no one got hurt. The vest is a great idea, but I have a stupid question.

I train my dogs around distractions, but not around coyotes, so if one of my dog saw a coyote, I am not 100% sure I could call them back. Do you have a plan for if your dog decides to take off after a coyote? I hear about calling dogs off of deer all the time, and well, I might be able to do that. But if a coyote turns and fights, how do you break that crap up? I am thinking rabies shots all around.
Selzer, I don't know about Gary's dog but I have a lot of coyotes around me, last night they were out in our field and when my dog hears them, she wants nothing to do with them at all, maybe scared of the yipping and howling?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Honestly, no. I think about it everytime we go out though. Kain's 'recall' is pretty good, but I couldn't guarantee anything in the heat of the moment. I feel somewhat confident that he would 'leave it' when told, but not absolutely sure. I do know that he would probably get schooled if he ever locked up with a yote (those lil guys are tough). Also, I carry my beretta 380. I guess I could use that to end a fight. Just hope it never happens.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I carry my gun when I hike too, but I don't know if I could fire into a fight between my dog and a coyote. Too much chance of hitting the wrong one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts