German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a simple question for all you awesome GSD owners who have raised puppies before!

I am getting a puppy next week (by the name of Ben) and have read a few puppy books to prepare this past month and I have read controversy of putting the crate in the owner's room (in which the puppy will be closer to the owner, even if it has no contact vocally or physically with the owner on the first few nights so it can get accustomed to the crate. It still feels some comfort with knowing someone is in the room), or putting the crate in the kitchen (in which it will be easier to clean up any messes/closer to the outside/where the family spends time all together).

I will be in my room most of the time, with my dad gone all day except to sleep at night. I think my room would be the best place since I will be in the room, he will associate the room with his den also inside, but I know a lot of people also say the kitchen is the best place.

Please voice all opinions and suggestions, even if un-related! This is my first puppy, and I'm prepared to make it the best experience for both of us. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I used 2 crates. One in my bedroom for sleeping and one in my family room. That way where ever I was, the pup could be close.

As babies they get lots if security from being close to you.

Recently a friend got a puppy. She came to me cause the puppy was screaming all night long and they were getting no sleep. I had her move the crate into the bedroom. Screaming stopped completely.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I did the same when Bear was a pup. We kept a pop up kennel in the bedroom at night next to the bed and his wire crate was in the main living area downstairs. By the time he outgrew the pop up kennel he was pretty much out of his crate.
The pop up one I got at Target for not a lot of money, here's a picture:

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Put it in your room. I have my guys close to my bed, he never made any accidents in his crate as a puppy so I didnt have to worry about that. Puppies (especially German Shepherds..) wanna be by their family/owner. My guy now comes out of his crate in the middle of the night and lays right next to my bed. :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I did the same when Bear was a pup. We kept a pop up kennel in the bedroom at night next to the bed and his wire crate was in the main living area downstairs. By the time he outgrew the pop up kennel he was pretty much out of his crate.
The pop up one I got at Target for not a lot of money, here's a picture:

View attachment 95194

Do you remember what size you got and how much it was?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts