German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having one dog already... i was thinking would it be okay to place my gsd's crate on the other side of the living room facing my other dogs crate? Sorry if its a stupid question.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
I have two of my dogs crated side by side (wire crates just a couple of inches apart) and so they are basically almost touching at times. A third is several feet away as those are the only spots that crates will fit in my entry. I put the 3 crates there so they can see family in the kitchen, the living room, and into part of my bedroom from where they are located. It is also within about 6' from the front door which is the door they go in and out of the house.

I like to keep the crates where they can see each other and be a pack. It has worked out fine for us. Now when I get a new crate for my biggest guy -- I want the Great Dane size -- it will have to be moved a couple of feet away into the living room as the entry area is not large enough for a larger crate to fit, but it will still be close by with no wall seperating them. In fact it will be in the same spot where my parrot's cage use to be while she was alive. She liked to have her cage next to the one dog and would sleep as close to his crate as she could squeeze.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have 2 wire cage grates side by side for 2 sisters we recently gave a home, tried tham facing one another when they first got here needless to say did not sleep for the first night th3rd day We decided to put them together like they were at there old home and as if by magic both were happier and slept. BUT I also have 2 others that I do not use a crate at night for and they do just find sleeping where they want to. For us and our love of this breed I am working everyday to ween them away from there crate if they want. Not big on cages.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
My kids have crates their whole lives. They love to nap and sleep in them (We don't think of them as "cages," but "boardrooms" where they're allowed to have complete peace, quiet, and security and none of the other dogs can bother them. And we don't bother them when they're in their boardrooms hanging out or snoozing. Yes, we call the crates "Boardroom!" and that's our command for bedtime! As adults, the doors almost never get closed. They just like having their own "rooms.")

I use plastic travel crates, so they're kind of hard to see into side to side. So when they're pups, I line up the puppy crate's door and the Big Kid's crate door facing each other she doesn't feel like she's alone in the house). Once she's older, perfectly fine with the crate AND perfectly fine with being left home alone, then I move the crate to wherever it makes most sense. Often it's side by side to the other one. But it may be across the room. By then, it doesn't matter. She's independent, and likes the security of the crate (and frankly, the peace and quiet from the usual chaos of the house).

If I had wire crates, I wouldn't worry about it as much.

And no, it's not a stupid question. I spend fair amount of time repositioning crates throughout the day!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts