German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh! $690 plus tax and shipping. Maybe I don’t like it that much. I wonder if there is a way to make one.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
I kinda like that thing too.You could make one out of pvc pipes,3/4" inch plywood ,and metal C clamps.Put on your tool belt:)

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha. My tool belt is full of old treats. I used to use it as a treat bag and to hold dog equipment, bags, things like that. My goal is to end up with something to get my dogs off the ground and also provide a place to hide under. One of mine loves hiding under things and hoarding toys.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Lol!A small picnic table might work for you too.As long as it couldn't be used as a launch pad to get over the fence.

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
Ok there's irony here in that the site says "environmental" and it's made out of plastic.... oh, yeah.

Yes you could make one yourself. Here, the lumber yard gives you one free cut. Buy a 4 x 8 piece of plywood. Have them cut it to 4x4 pieces, then pay to have one of them cut into two triangles. Then you go to pipe - PVC, copper, or aluminum and the flange type fittings (I think that's what they're called) to bolt the pipes to the board (you may want to get a large pipe cutter to cut the pipe to size.) I think you can figure out how to put it together -- and customize it to the height you want.

And paint it the color you want.

and curse me for suggesting it because it will be heavier than what you would like.

But hey, you can manage.

You could also build it from rescued pallets. But you would have to do the cutting yourself...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looks like a very nifty design. Perhaps you could get a couple strategically sized dog cots, do a little resizing if needed & modify the leg lengths with PVC pipe. I'm thinking there could multiple choices for materials.

Perhaps you could hire a handyman to make you something.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol!A small picnic table might work for you too.As long as it couldn't be used as a launch pad to get over the fence.
I didn’t think about that. That would make the fence 3’ lower. It’s not going to work for my escape artist unless it’s away from the fence.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those are both good suggestions. Who else is going to make one? The $700 one needs to be bolted to the ground. I want a moveable, lighter weight option.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If you're handy you could make one Kundra Bed style. Pvc pipe is inexpensive, light weight and easy to cut. The fittings and elbow joints are cheap too. Any outdoor rated fabric from the fabric shop will work (lawn furniture upholstery). You can attach the fabric to the pvc pipe by drilling holes and using washers and screws to hold the fabric in place. You can make it any size/height you want. You can attach deck flanges to the legs that have holes in them and anchor it down with tent stakes.
Depending on the size and cost of fabric you could probably make what you want for less than $100 plus your time.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I like those too! But pricey, phew.

Depending on how heavy your dogs are, a single sheet of 1/2" plywood may work for the tops too...plywood fairly light, pretty inexpensive?

( We used to build tunnels, houses, ramps, platforms and all kinds of things for our guinea pigs...but out of corrugated cardboard, so that's a lot easier/cheaper! Building things for Rumo is much more of an endeavor...)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts