German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've also posted in the senior section, so the mods may move if it's not okay to double post.

I have an older GSD who appears to have a herniated disc. He can no longer come upstairs at night which is breaking his and my heart.

I have a friend who is willing to look at installing a pulley system to get him up the stairs, but I'd need a sturdy harness/vest to support him.

The type used for SAR dogs to get them in and out of tight spots comes to mind.

Where do I find such a vest and/or does anybody have a used one to sell? Money is tight after treating Lucy's cancer.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lauri, I found that same item and it may be the best bet if I go with a pulley system. The "model" dog even looks like Aik!

Thank you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you find someone who has good sewing machine, they can measure the dog from those points in the pic and make one.
Just buy the nylon and the straps and have them sew one just for your dog. good luck.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the homemade idea. I can't thread a needle, but my coworker can!

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I think a homemade version of the one Lauri posted would be perfect. You could always add some fleece padding around the leg holes to make the ride more comfortable.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Your idea is creative, but I think you need to be cautious about this. I have used similar rappelling harnesses for helicopter hoist training. Even for a healthy dog they can be uncomfortable or even cause injury if not designed and fitted properly. For a GSD with a back injury I suspect lifting in a harness could easily exacerbate the problem.

If you decide to pursue this idea, I suggest at least looking into a commercial harness that uses a spreader bar to distribute the weight more evenly. For example:

TEEFT harness

They seem to be aware of the types injuries that can be caused by lifting, so perhaps giving them a call would be worthwhile. Hope this helps, take care.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
How about using a pully system to lift a crate? You would have to be sure if the dog's weight shifts it would not unbalance the load.

I am afraid when my dog got that rough, I just made him a comfortable place at the bottom of the stairs. Most of our day was downstairs.

I am also concerned about the stress this may put on the dog. I have a Teeft life vest which can be used for water -lowering from helicopter[not saying this would be an option]-- and if you go the harness route, I can say his products are very well made and designed.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I've used the Ray-Allen one and I do not recommend it. Uncomfortable for the dog and not that safe as others models.

We have a couple that are more like the TEEFT one and I like them a lot better.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Is the TEEFT lift harness very heavy/bulky to take along for long hikes? If it is what other product would you recommend to have in case the dog gets injured and I would have to carry her quickly to the car? I just still remember the nightmare when Yana got her hip dislocated in the desert and I had to carry her 75lb 2 miles thru the rough terrain to the car. Fortunately a man was walking by and was able to help me. Thank you. Jennifer, I hope you don't mind me asking this question in your thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts