German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 8wk old pup and im trying to figure out where to crate him until i get home from lunch (approximately 2.5 hrs) everyday.

We have a crate in our bedroom, where he sleeps at night. And one in our kitchen, which we use for his naps or to give the cats a rest lol

If i leave him downstairs, he will be able to see the cats walking around, so i don't know if that will cause any jealousy issues or not

Thanks

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Dogs don't have jealousy issues when another dog is out of the crate and he/she is in the crate.

It doesn't matter if you crate him in the bedroom or downstairs. If one has a more comfortable temperature during the day, for example the upstairs bedroom gets really hot or there's a draft downstairs, go with the one that will be more comfortable.

I like to put crated dogs in an area where they can hear and see what's going on because I live in the middle of nowhere and I'm not worried about barking. If you have neighbors and are worried about barking, put him somewhere boring, like in the bedroom with the shades down so he'll sleep all day.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I don't think it matters... and there will be NO jealousy with the cats, may be more fun to watch them though....

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I put it in the kitchen/den area so it's around us. Seeing the cats may keep him from getting to bored!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I put my dog in the family room so she can see things going on. The only time I put her in the bedroom when she was being crate trained was to sleep at night. The other times I always put her in the family room.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He just does not like the downstairs crate. He moans and whimpers forever when he is in there! I even give him treats as I'm putting him in. I never respond to his whimpering, and he still does not stop. When I put him upstairs, he is out like a light. I guess I will try upstairs for now, but if anyone can think of why he cries downstairs, let me know

Thanks for all of the responses. This site has helped so much

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I always had Stark on the same floor as me, he would be crated and could still see what was going on but he was contained. :)

If he is quiet and content upstairs, that's where I would keep him. If it's not a big deal where the crate goes in your house, then I would just place it where he feels content and live a happy, QUIET life. :) ;)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Jealously...imagine what our two pups think when the adults don't get crated when we leave but they do. ;) Such is the life of a puppy...

·
Registered
156 Posts
when ours was a pup we did it in the bed room and got lucky she never cried unless she really had to go to the bathroom, now at 8 months i can put the crate wherever i want and she has no issues, even took her out to a ranch while we were hunting and she stayed crated in the kitchen, no issues. Has been crated in a car during a long road trip for thanksgiving and had no issues either, she loves her crate and i think once you get them to that point it doesn't matter where you put it. When we move its going in the kitchen just because we will have more room for it there, and maybe room for a second :)

if your having problems with her crying i would reccomend giving her a large amount of treats when she goes in there on command, and increasing the time you leave her in there a lone until she is used to the new place. NEVER let her out when she is crying unless she has been in there for a bit and might actually need to go to the bathroom, but for the most part dogs shouldn't mess where they sleep.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also put the crate all over the house so he is used to being crated in different rooms. If he is crated he is in our living room, we have an open kitchen, living room concept so he can see us. I do leave to pick up the kids from school so he is used to us being gone here and there. He is crated in our family room sometimes and then at night he has his own room and he sleeps there by himself for the time being. Call me cruel but he does better sleeping in his own room by himself. I swear this is what made him go into his crate without whining now. The first night we moved him into our bedroom and he cried all night. We needed our sleep( we also just drove a 16 hour road trip in one day) so I moved him into his own room. I started to feel guilty so I moved him into my girls room and he whined all night keeping them awake. Believe it or not he acutally is quiet in his own room. I put a nightlight on in there and I have the radio on also. I think I did that out of guilt.

I think it's great to move them around to different parts of the house because we also will take him on vacation and want him used to being crated and in different rooms. We also crate him in the car to get him used to that. He's not crated very much during the day since we have an exercise pen and then he's attached to me by his leash. I don't know if I'm lucky but after almost two weeks of having him he's goes to his kennel/crate readily. In fact sometimes he will sneak in there and just lay down.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I vote in the kitchen around the cats...video him while you are gone and see if there are any problems in either of the areas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts