German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31,829 Posts
Find a German Shepherd club in your area. Ours has someone who lets people know who has puppies available and is contacted by people looking for pups. It is also a good place to start if you are serious about breeding GSDs.

I think that it may be necessary to put an ad in the paper. Please do not say "free." I expect the puppies are better than eight weeks old, so getting them in their new homes is kind of important now. The newspaper will likely send you some buyers, but you should be very careful how you screen people. Chances are these people are not experienced GSD owners and may be a bit more work.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Good luck finding homes for the pups.

Based on this experience, it might be an idea to have your dog spayed so that you don't have to go through this again. There are enough GSD pups in the world looking for homes.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: Luca_stl

Based on this experience, it might be an idea to have your dog spayed so that you don't have to go through this again. There are enough GSD pups in the world looking for homes.
I just thought this was worth repeating. Reputable professional breeders usually have waiting lists for their pups. IMO, it's best to leave breeding to those who have the ability to place puppies with appropriate homes that have been screened carefully.

·
Registered
31,829 Posts
Most people just starting out do not have people banging down their doors for puppies. Probably, this is because most of us start out by jumping in, generally at the wrong end.

We do not know why this individual has a litter that needs to be placed. Perhaps the bitch was a rescue, perhaps it was a first litter, perhaps it was a breeding to comply with a contract when he procured the bitch, who knows?

I find it a little bit abrasive that without any information we are encouraging a spay and to "leave it to the reputable professional breeders." I want everyone to remember that if we continue to leave it to the reputable professional breeders, our breed will die out. New blood is essential. Young, inexperienced breeders who are willing to learn are very important to our breed.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Quote:Most people just starting out do not have people banging down their doors for puppies. Probably, this is because most of us start out by jumping in, generally at the wrong end.

We do not know why this individual has a litter that needs to be placed. Perhaps the bitch was a rescue, perhaps it was a first litter, perhaps it was a breeding to comply with a contract when he procured the bitch, who knows?

I find it a little bit abrasive that without any information we are encouraging a spay and to "leave it to the reputable professional breeders." I want everyone to remember that if we continue to leave it to the reputable professional breeders, our breed will die out. New blood is essential. Young, inexperienced breeders who are willing to learn are very important to our breed.
I think if this is a "young, inexperienced breeder who is willing to learn" then they will understand why their seeming irresponsibility in this case doesn't sit well with people who know better. Young breeders who want to learn how to breed mentor with experienced breeders. They learn how to do it properly, and have a plan for their puppies. We're not talking about learning to bake cupcakes, where you can toss out the first few batches if they don't turn out.

If this is an unplanned litter, then spaying the dog would prevent them from the inconvenience of having to go on the internet to ask strangers what to do with puppies next time.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Quote:Most people just starting out do not have people banging down their doors for puppies. Probably, this is because most of us start out by jumping in, generally at the wrong end.

I think if this is a "young, inexperienced breeder who is willing to learn" then they will understand why their seeming irresponsibility in this case doesn't sit well with people who know better. Young breeders who want to learn how to breed mentor with experienced breeders. They learn how to do it properly, and have a plan for their puppies. We're not talking about learning to bake cupcakes, where you can toss out the first few batches if they don't turn out.

If this is an unplanned litter, then spaying the dog would prevent them from the inconvenience of having to go on the internet to ask strangers what to do with puppies next time.
Excellent post Tracy. I agree 100%

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
I think if this is a "young, inexperienced breeder who is willing to learn" then they will understand why their seeming irresponsibility in this case doesn't sit well with people who know better. Young breeders who want to learn how to breed mentor with experienced breeders. They learn how to do it properly, and have a plan for their puppies.
I agree 100% also.

In addition, those starting out the right way are involved in GSDs beyond just making puppies. They belong to dog clubs, train their dogs, network with other GSD enthusiasts... and doing that also helps not only educate the new breeder on how to become a good breeder, but helps him develop a reputation and provide him with a customer base of good, knowledgeable GSD owners.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Originally Posted By: Skye'sMomReichsmom;

I don't see a signature line - what rescue do you fostor for?
I don't have a sig line, never bothered with it.

I've fostered a handful of times for different local rescues. With 3 small sons and my crazy schedule I don't get to do it near as consistently as I'd like.

The last was Starfish to the sea here in PA, last august. I took on a big pup who was spoiled and had no manners (7 months old, 75 lbs of 'I do what I want'). He was placed in a fantastic home 2 weeks later, a much better behaved boy.

The adopting family actually just sent me some pics a couple of weeks ago, so I'll share one of Roscoe the Labweiler and his best buddy-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts