German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I am new to the forum. We have a GSD puppy who will be 5 months tomorrow, his name is Link. We brought him home when he was 9 weeks and since the first night he has slept in a wire crate in our bedroom. Is this okay for him to do? I noticed if I don't go to bed at the same time he cries which he doesn't do if I go to bed. My husband won't come to bed for an hour or two and he is fine with that. How long should he sleep in our room for? Can he sleep there forever without then feeling seperation anxiety when he needs to stay over night at a kennel?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
At 10 weeks Jesse started sleeping in bed with my husband and me (he is currenlty 6 months old) and no problems and he actually lets me sleep all night now too.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The crates are in our bedroom. They all will go in on their own during the day to chill. But at night we shut the doors. We can leave them there no worries and they will be quiet. They only become restless when they have to go potty.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Have you tried putting something with your scent in his crate? ( a small towel , tshirt) etc...may help his anxiety.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Jackson (11 weeks) sleeps in his crate and the crate is in our breakfast nook (no furniture in there)...DH nixed him sleeping in our bed. I am thinking about moving the crate into our bedroom next to my side of the bed.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Mandalay sleeps in a crate in the game room (close to the back door so I can get her out in a hurry when I hear her whine). At first we let her sleep in bed, but she was just under 10 weeks when I brought her home and after two nights and two accidents my husband said it was better if she stayed in the crate until she is housebroken (the 2nd accident happened to soak through the comforter and onto him...ROFL!!). After she is housebroken she will be able to sleep wherever she wants - probably in bed with us as she seems to love to come up there and chill with us before we all go to bed for the night.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I let Jackson up on the bed with me the other day for a nap...he acted like he was in heaven.

I personally don't have a problem with him sleeping with us, but we only have a full size bed and when he gets full grown that could sure present a problem...plus our 10 year old lab hasn't been allowed to sleep on the bed and we are having enough jealousy issues with him right now.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Bogart sleeps in his crate at the end of our bed.

I will not let Bogart sleep in our bed. Oh i would like it but, just think of it... They use the bathroom outside, then they come to into the bed. That is not very sanitary. Bogart loves it in his crate anyway, when we go to bed, he runs like a bat out of **** to get in. lol

Bogarts Dad

·
Registered
619 Posts
Originally Posted By: Sasha2008Bogart sleeps in his crate at the end of our bed.

I will not let Bogart sleep in our bed. Oh i would like it but, just think of it... They use the bathroom outside, then they come to into the bed. That is not very sanitary. Bogart loves it in his crate anyway, when we go to bed, he runs like a bat out of **** to get in. lol

Bogarts Dad
oh lord, I never even thought of it that way
I always go to bed before my husband and he has been in charge of putting Jackson to bed...but the last week or so, Jackson goes into his kennel when hubby starts locking doors and turning out lights.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
have any of you taken your dogs over night to a kennel yet? Link will be staying overnight at the vet's next Thursday when he gets neutered and then we made an appointment for him to stay June 6th at a local kennel since there are 2 weekends in July that we need to go somewhere where he isn't allowed to come.

·
Registered
606 Posts
My 14 week old pup, Shadow, started out sleeping in the bed with us, but is gradually moving to the floor. Guess he's gotten tired of "Daddy" kicking him during the night. His crate is in my room, and he's begun going in there by himself to sleep.

I'm in Brampton, Ontario, and am looking for a kennel for when we go away with the kids in a couple of months. I think it's going to be hard, because I'm picky.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yukon sleeps in his crate next to my bed. He is not allowed on my bed at all.

I allowed my last two dogs to sleep with me and them jumping, playing, rolling around on my bed while they were covered in dirt caused my bed spread to fade and appear trashy.

So no more doggies on the bed for me, not even the little ones.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Chevy has always slept in his crate in the kitchen. He's been housebroken since he was 2½ months but still gets into everything he's not supposed to so he's always kept in the crate when we cannot watch him.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
we brought our boy home at 9 weeks. we had his crate set up in the living room. i guess he 4 months old when i started leaving him out of the crate. first i started leaving him out of the crate over night and then when we weren't home. all was good untill he was 7 months or so. then started to eat the house when we weren't home and over night. back in the crate when we're not home. istll leave out of the crate over night. we have two dog beds in the living room and two in the bed room, we also have a Grey Hound. the Shep goes from bed to bed to crate. the Grey Hound goes from her bed to the sofa to our bed. as for as seperation anxiety why don't you put the crate in a different room. you should also start crating your dog before bed time so he can get use to being put in the crate at anytime you need him to be there. crate him a few different times during times during the day with you being there. then crate him and leave the house for a few minutes. he'll catch on that the crate is his friend. as far as kenneling. don't wait untill your going away to kennel him. after you pick a kennel visit them several times and let your dog be there. let them put him the kennel for a hour to see how he reacts. do this several times increasing the time in the kennel untill you can leave him over night. once he's comfortable at the kennel he should be ok. don't just drop him off there and be gone for days on vacation. work up to it. on the other hand he might like the kennel from day one or being away from you might not bother him. that would bother me if my dog was away from me for the first time and he didn't act upset. our dogs now sleep were ever they want. they normally follow us to bed and sleep on the dog beds or sometimes on the floor real close to our bed. just this pass week the Shep has started sleeping in the doorway of the bed room.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Our German Shepherd puppy is 15 weeks old and sleeps in her crate in our bedroom at night. She also has a crate downstairs so if she can't be watched when we are busy she doesn't mind going in her crate for a while. We trained her to go into her crate with "crate" command. She goes in without any problem, she only whines a little in the morning when she needs to go out for potty time usually like clockwork at 5:30AM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts