German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was admiring my organized mess today as I was trying to find the nail clippers (they were not at the top like they are in the photo lol).

Treats, toys, collars, health stuff, sweaters, booties, mats.... etc etc etc. That's not even all of it. We have another canvas cube on a bookshelf elsewhere that has more collars, brushes, bandanas, shampoos, first aid stuff.

I keep thinking there has to be a better way to do it, because I hate digging through all this crap and then it's like playing a game of Tetris trying to get it all to fit back together. Of course, the stuff I use most frequently is at the top. But still. Maybe there is no good way to organize it. Maybe I just have too much stuff.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Everywhere.... cupboards, pantry, laundry room and drawers!

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
I have a plastic toolbox that holds the medical and grooming tools.

I have a rack by the back door where the collars and leashes all hang.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
In the backyard I have a shed (the garage is for "dangerous" stuff like lawn equipment and anything with chemicals; the shed is for dog/pet stuff). The shed holds stuff like extra crates, plastic pools, and agility equipment. The half-bath off our kitchen is where I store dog food, food bins, water pails, food bowls, and cleaning supplies. You'd have to move a stack of dog bowls in order to use the toilet! In the basement I have some organizers where I keep training gear and supplies. The "finished" side of our basement has a row of crates and the "unfinished" side has a pen setup. My van also has kennels, lots of training supplies (mostly Schutzhund), extra food and water, and my own supplies (tracking boots, weather gear, bug repellents). So, that's basically three rooms and a vehicle dedicated to dogs!

Back of the van

I have a platform I made that has baskets that slide in and hold gear. There are always three kennels in the van but some days we actually take four intact male GSDs and three people to Schutzhund training in there!

Supplies in the basement

The big drawers are for "Training Aids" (clickers, cones, dumbbells, send out toys, etc), "Tracking" (trial line, bag of articles, flags), "Misc" (clothes mostly) and the smaller ones are for "Collars" (duh), "Conformation" (show collars and leads), "Tabs & Couplers", "Halters & Harnesses" (basic nylon harnesses, Gentle Leader, Easy Walk), and "Leashes & Lines". The green thing has all my grooming and some medical supplies, the plastic bin has my rain and weather gear, and the small duffel is all flyball stuff (vet wrap, skid boots, reward toys, and their flyball harnesses). There's also a Ruffwear backpack and then some toys and bones the dogs are allowed to pull out.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
All my training gear stays in the van.
I have hooks outside the breezeway door(in the garage) for other leashes & collars.
My grooming tools are on top of a crate in a basket, shampoos are in my bathroom where they get bathed, and my first aid kit is in my bird-room cabinet along with some random meds.
I need to make up a first aid kit for the van.

Toys/antlers, other chews are scattered, but we do have a toybox....usually is empty or have the toys that are not fun!
I gather up toys often and put them in the box just so the dogs can get them all back out.
Dog food is in the dedicated dog food freezer in the garage.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
meds and shampoo in the bathroom closet.

leashes, tugs, 40lb bag of food in the hallway closet.

treats and small bags of food on top of the refrigerator.

brushes, combs, kongs, balls, 12" leash, collar in
wicker basket beside the front door.

bath towel beside back door and on a shelving
unit beside front door.

bones, antlers, balls, ropes all over the house (on floor).

2 or 3 balls laying around the back yard.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
One cabinet in kitchen that has 4 shelves has dog/cat stuff(poo poo bags, brushes, medications(ears, eyes,fleas, hw), nail clippers, etc), shampoo and conditioner is under bathroom sink, older collars/leashes and outfits in shoe organizer in my closet, one toy box in my room(plus toys all over the floor), extra crates in my son's room behind the futon, leashes that I use in basket by front door, toy box in living room...empty because all the toys are on the floor(I used to attempt to put them away, but they are back out within 30 seconds) and all fish stuff is under the big tank. Maybe I should get more organized:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
32,031 Posts
We have an old tall narrow bookcase that doesn't fit in the house after we remodeled, so it went in the garage. A lot of supplies are on there, including the canned cat food, extra bowls, that sort of thing.

We also have a cheap Ikea cabinet in the garage that we keep stuff in that we need to keep the dogs out of, like the stash of bully sticks. It's low, and we stack containers with the dogs' food on top of it, any supplements I'm currently using, and the biscuits we give them when we leave. It's just outside the garage pen where they go when we leave, and that's also where we feed them. I put the dog bowls and cat food dishes on top of the cabinet while I prepare everyone's food.

We still ended up with a lot of stuff in the house - backpacks for each dog, the backpack of toys we take to the park, Halo's flyball bag, my treat bag, various varieties of treats, the dremel for dog nails, brushes and other grooming supplies, etc. The packs were in a messy heap on top of the crates in our bedroom, and the treats and treat bag were taking over a pantry cabinet, so we decided to buy a nice entry cabinet dedicated to dog stuff. It's close to the front door so it's convenient, and there are hooks above for our coats and the dogs' leashes:

It's nice looking, and the perfect size - although it's skinny and doesn't take up a lot of space in our long narrow entry, I can get everything I need to in there. We also use it to put incoming mail on top of, which gets the mail pile off the breakfast table, a plus!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Where don't I keep the dog stuff is a better question. There is Sasha stuff all throughout my mom's house and my own apartment. In my apartment I have some of her stuff in a basket, some in my room, some in the living room, some in the pantry, some in the bathroom. At my mom's I have some in the laundry room, living room, my room, the garage. I've got an extra collar and usually an extra leash and bone in my car. I constantly find treats and and other Sasha stuff in my pockets. She has pretty much taken over all my living space lol!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use to be organized like Lieseje! Now I have tack in my bedroom, living room, Shed, Truck, Laundry and every where else in between. Same with the dog and cat stuff. I guess I just like a good game of hide and seek. Haha. Plus most of the stuff needs to be out of reach of our daughter. I'm running out of room! Or maybe I just need to sort through my stash Haha.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
In the backyard I have a shed (the garage is for "dangerous" stuff like lawn equipment and anything with chemicals; the shed is for dog/pet stuff). The shed holds stuff like extra crates, plastic pools, and agility equipment. The half-bath off our kitchen is where I store dog food, food bins, water pails, food bowls, and cleaning supplies. You'd have to move a stack of dog bowls in order to use the toilet! In the basement I have some organizers where I keep training gear and supplies. The "finished" side of our basement has a row of crates and the "unfinished" side has a pen setup. My van also has kennels, lots of training supplies (mostly Schutzhund), extra food and water, and my own supplies (tracking boots, weather gear, bug repellents). So, that's basically three rooms and a vehicle dedicated to dogs!

Back of the van

I have a platform I made that has baskets that slide in and hold gear. There are always three kennels in the van but some days we actually take four intact male GSDs and three people to Schutzhund training in there!

Supplies in the basement

The big drawers are for "Training Aids" (clickers, cones, dumbbells, send out toys, etc), "Tracking" (trial line, bag of articles, flags), "Misc" (clothes mostly) and the smaller ones are for "Collars" (duh), "Conformation" (show collars and leads), "Tabs & Couplers", "Halters & Harnesses" (basic nylon harnesses, Gentle Leader, Easy Walk), and "Leashes & Lines". The green thing has all my grooming and some medical supplies, the plastic bin has my rain and weather gear, and the small duffel is all flyball stuff (vet wrap, skid boots, reward toys, and their flyball harnesses). There's also a Ruffwear backpack and then some toys and bones the dogs are allowed to pull out.
If you ever come to Iowa there is a steak dinner in it for you if come over and organize me lol!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Or the ROOM! What I wouldnt give to have a basement! Seriously how do you manage that?
My house is 1300 square feet. I can't even do obedience training in my own house/yard, can't heel more than 5 paces in any given area. Most homes in Michigan have a basement. I imagine pipes would be bursting left and right if we didn't. Ours is mostly unfinished and technically the "finished" room is not actually finished, the concrete is sealed and painted (there's no drywall or real walls).

·
Registered
443 Posts
Um...everywhere? Hah. There are hooks by the door for leashes and collars, plus a milkcrate on the floor with "adventure" stuff-- dog backpack, large water container, at least one long line. In the kitchen is a set of rolling drawers with medicines, bully sticks, collars, leashes, and safety vests. In the living room is a large trash can overflowing with toys, plus another set of rolling drawers with grooming stuff, puzzles, and whatever other random stuff we have. I have a bag with tracking equipment as well, and my car always has long lines and toys in it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My house is 1300 square feet. I can't even do obedience training in my own house/yard, can't heel more than 5 paces in any given area. Most homes in Michigan have a basement. I imagine pipes would be bursting left and right if we didn't. Ours is mostly unfinished and technically the "finished" room is not actually finished, the concrete is sealed and painted (there's no drywall or real walls).
We've got almost 3000 square feet and due to my lack of imagination (and perhaps spacial awareness), I can't even begin to figure out where to put all the dog and cat stuff. What on earth can I bribe you with to get you to come down here and organize our stuff?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts