German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sort of an informal poll. I am curious to know where forum members got their GSDs and how old they were. If you feel comfortable naming the breeder and/or the amount you paid for the dog, I think that would be interesting.

And finally, how satisfied are you with your dog (health, temperament, etc)?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
vomVollkommen. <
1,800.00 (plus $200.00 to ship) <
got him at 9 weeks old. <

no health problems. training him was "a piece of cake".
super friendly with people and other animals (not just dogs). <

because of my dogs tempermant, socializing and training
we're able to do so much together.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Originally Posted By: cassadee7Sort of an informal poll. I am curious to know where forum members got their GSDs and how old they were. If you feel comfortable naming the breeder and/or the amount you paid for the dog, I think that would be interesting.

And finally, how satisfied are you with your dog (health, temperament, etc)?
Sassy was bought from a NC breeder. I saw her grandparents in person and pictures of her mother and father. She was a present from my DH.

We picked her up when she was 8 weeks old. She is now nearly 9 months old and my constant companion.

She has been everything I had hoped for and then some. She is from a non-working line, loves my older female and loves, loves my doxie. She thinks he is her animated toy.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Gia - working lines - from a gsd rescue @ 9 months old - i was a volunteer and only paid her bail fees which were about $65 - temperament i'm 100% satisfied, the volunteer that felt we'd be a good match couldn't have done a better job. she was easy to train, very solid nerves, and "issue" free. health 85% satisfied... she has HD, but its been managed the past 6yrs. no other health concerns.

Tilden - wg showlines - from a gsd rescue @ almost 10 months old - again, paid bail fees which were only $32 - temperament i'm 100% satisfied. not as solid as Gia, but still more or less "issue" free. health 100% satisfied. no health concerns so far - he just made 3.

received (minimal) history on both. birth date, reason for surrender, etc. both are good with people, kids, dogs, cats, etc... quiet, intelligent, affectionate, settle easily, etc...

·
Registered
737 Posts
All my shepherds were rescues Bailey we got at 6mos she had fear aggression but got over that with some work Best dog ever I have Galalieo from the shelter .He is around 10 we renamed him Bruiser He is a piece of cake will sometimes nip at other strange dogs but is fine with my dogs.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Lackawanna County Humane Society - 3 months old. I don't remember what I paid, it included a spay fee. Health is great. Her temperament is great with people but has some fear issues to be worked out with other dogs.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I got Sigurd at Kolenda Kennels, he came home when he turned 8 weeks old. I paid $2500 for him.

I am completely satisfied with my dog. His health has been top notch, except he had an unfortunate encounter with mouse poison at a friends house, which might have caused some other issues. His hip/elbow results haven't come back from OFA yet. I have no reason to believe he has any issues with hips/elbows. His temperament is fantastic. He's happy, loves people of all ages, loves other dogs. He is strong willed, loves to please. Training him has been really easy, though I admit I haven't been doing as much training as I should. He's cuddly, loyal and just over all a perfect dog.

I'll go back to Kolenda Kennels if I ever get another GSD. I recommend them to everyone
and keep cards on hand!

Sigurd resting on the "dog" couch

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Grimmies came from a small-time breeder in Tennessee. She was just starting out with breeding after having been involved as a trainer, owner, and handler of German Shepherds for the past twenty-five years. Grimm came from her dogs' first litter. She will only breed once every 2-3 years since she is a professional dog trainer and is "always learning more" when it comes to breeding/raising puppies

They just got done building a new 10 acre "facility" - their house, an agility course, a puppy room for introducing puppies to new sights/sounds, etc.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
When Morgan was 6 months old I got a call from a VSA worker, Got a little girl here who needs you and Luther. No history, ears full of crud but otherwise healthy even if she was a bit spooky. $25, $20 of that refundable once she was spayed - my $5 bitch turned out to be the best dog I've ever had.

Otto, an agonizing breeder decision. Met his Mom when she was pregnant, his dad right after the puppies were born. Visited him in NH a few times and brought him hope at 8 weeks. Always been happy with that agonizing decision.

Most of my other dogs were wayward teenage rescues, except Baron, Prince and Rex, they were puppies.

Morgan, a few weeks ago. She's 8 1/2 now.

Otto, 19 months. Head full of snow, silly expression and a ball, if my little DD was there, his whole world would be in that one shot.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I got my boy from an ad in the Bargain News @ 8 weeks old.

http://www.grassoshepherds.com

He was 800$ & has no health problems except for a little bit of pano when he was younger & a swollen gland. (Which Im sure has nothing to do with poor breeding.)

Great temperment, loving, careing, alert, protective, loves children & people of all shapes & sizes, MY BEST FRIEND EVER!

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Of our current dogs, only 2 were purchased. The rest we bred ourselves. We've purchased several others over the years, but they are either gone now or were unsuitable for SchH and/or breeding and placed into pet homes.

Kaiser - a breeder here in MI that is no longer around. $800 at 7 weeks old (11 years ago). Breeder was essentially a WL BYB, but that doesn't change the fact that Kais is the best dog EVER.
Training was a breeze, we got our SchH3 by the time he was 3 years old. No health problems at all until this past year when he developed cancer. Now at 11yo, he's still doing just fine and looks and acts more like a 5yo, even though thanks to the cancer he's now a tripod.

Nara - another WL breeder here in MI. Was a member of our club at the time, then moved away. He's gotten back into SchH after a few years off, but is no longer breeding. $1000 at 7 weeks old (10 years ago). Temperament turned out to be unsuitable for SchH (very, very soft temperament and some minor nerve issues) but she is a great, enjoyable companion. She has Moderate HD in both hips, but it's never bothered her. Otherwise completely healthy.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Kai came from Theishof Kennels at 13 weeks old for $1,200 six years ago.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Faeron
Acquired through my trainer via an animal shelter.
Approx 1yr old.
Adoption fee waived as he came straight from the shelter and I paid for all his vetting etc.
Health - so far so good. But he's a rescue with no background so I expect anything.
Temperment - fabulous. His only issue is the refusal to be crated when I am not home.

Kenna
Acquired when brought into my clinic to be euthanized, I fostered and then she stayed.
14yrs old
No adoption fee, just lots of vets fees!
Health - she was 14yrs, can't expect no issues. I knew what I was getting.
Temperment - fabulous. Only issue is she is very sensitive about her mouth, you can't pry it open for anything, makes her hard to pill.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Onyx: Christmas surprise from DH for the family. He did no research~ just found out about a litter from a co-worker, decided we needed another dog...she was the last female available at 5 weeks(we got her at 7 wks), "breeders" first litter, he paid $200 and she has some fear aggression and allergies. She is beautiful, bat ears and all & I love her!

Kacie: Abandoned when the owner moved out, landlord found her and a cat after 5 days.
I saw her at the vet, overheard landlord talking about placing her thru a rescue with no luck. Spur of the moment, and the only thing I regret is, Onyx was only 5 months when I brought 1.5 yr old Kacie home, should not have done that to Onyx. She deserved more time from me one-on-one.
I paid the landlord $150 to cover Kacies vetting, and the 2 weeks of care that she had her.

Karlo: Wildhaus Kennel, G litter, awesome [email protected] mos. great temperament, willing to please. Hips & elbows prelim's look great.
I was extremely lucky to be placed on the reserve list & that there was actually a male sable puppy for me!! Still a dream

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
We got Bison from Triton Kennels at 8 weeks old. We are VERY satisfied with our dog. He is, IMO, exactly what a GSD should be. He has good nerves, prey drive, and is aloof yet loyal to us. He plays ball with my toddler great-nephew and let’s kids at the park hang all over him. Yet, when we started doing Schutzhund when he was 3 ½ he took to the sport like a natural.

He does have elbow dysplasia, but is minor. We only found out because he had pano when he was young. I only mention it, because I have shared this on other posts.

Trish, his breeder, was VERY supportive as we dealt with the pano and the dysplasia. Not only did she honor her written guarantee, she has gone above and beyond that. She has offered advice on supliments and explained what questions we needed to ask the vet as well as answered tons of our questions. We will be happy to get our next pup from Trish.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Current GSD:

Nator von Triton - aka Mauser
Triton Kennel - Trish Campbell (board member)
German working lines, parents both titled and have health clearances
Discounted for the long coat - $1,000
Picked him up at 9 weeks of age

Quote:And finally, how satisfied are you with your dog (health, temperament, etc)?
We could not be more satisfied with Mauser!! He is an AWESOME dog, both mentally and physically.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Obie, GSD X Lab (most likely) - SPCA. He was surrendered @ 8 weeks because "there were too many animals in the house" so I think he was probably a BYB pup that didn't sell. Sweet boy. Calm. Low maintenance. Fantastic with people, dogs, cats. Just about as easy going as they come.

Dottie, Corgi X JRT - SPCA. Dumped at the parking lot one night. Competitive, possessive, feisty, high drive, tireless worker ... in short, a nice little sports dog LOL. Currently training in agility.

Ike, WL - Kennel is Von der Daelenberghütte in Belgium. Ike is just a little baby so I can't say much about him yet other than that he's insane

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally Posted By: srfd44-2Kai came from Theishof Kennels at 13 weeks old for $1,200 six years ago.
From Middleton Idaho, or is there another breeder with this name? They have beautiful dogs! We live about 15 minutes from there! My son has the same name but we spelt it Kyi! It's a great name for a 7 year old or a good lookin' gsd!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Cheyenne - We got her from a BYB at 6 weeks(didn't know better!) for $150. She's very healthy, good with some dogs but aggressive and dominant towards others, but I think that was more the result of being attacked by a dog as she was fine with all dogs before that. Otherwise her behavior issues are minor ones. She's my girl.

Sir - He came from a shelter for $98, at 4 yrs old. I don't know who his breeder was, but he was imported from Germany as a puppy. He's mostly healthy, has mild Hip Dysplasia but that's his only chronic condition. Would have a completely bomb-proof temperament if his previous owners weren't so bad but even then he's great, good with other dogs but wary, not scared of anything I can think of, somewhat handshy from abuse but he's gotten much better since he's been here. Not aggressive at all but barks A LOT. He's just a big goof.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.