German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(obviously non-native English speaker here) I understand, that when people say "fixing the dog" they mean spray/neuter. But where is it coming from?

Is it some English phrase; does "fixing" have some hidden meaning? Or does it really imply that there's something wrong with that dog, that needs to be "fixed"?

I was thinking about it last couple of days and I just can't put it out of my head. :nerd:

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
it was a problem when dogs strayed from home distracted by the scent of females in season.

the problem was "fixed" when the dog was castrated and no longer responding to the calls
of nature

distraction - gone , roaming - gone . problem solved - problem fixed

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I always thought it meant 'fixed' in the sense of stable/not able to multiply. Sort of like a fixed point in time.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good point. I dind't realize, that you can use "fix" as a "repair" and at the same time as "stabilize". Which would make more sense.

But according to the comments it really seems, that people are using it as "repairing the dog". Same kind of thinking when some people circumcise newborns (=fixing natures mistake).

·
Registered
934 Posts
But according to the comments it really seems, that people are using it as "repairing the dog". Same kind of thinking when some people circumcise newborns (=fixing natures mistake).
Yes, but keep two things in mind. First, English words can have two categories of meaning. Denotative (what the word actually means) and connotative (the meaning given the word based on casual usage). So, denotatively, 'fix' can mean to repair as well as to stabilize.

Second, there's the connotative meaning of 'fixing' a dog (i.e., neutering/spaying) which builds on the denotative meaning. 'Fixing' does mean repairing something as you suggest. In that usage, it's not repairing the dog, per se, but rather repairing the problems that are thought to come with an unneutered animal (e.g., wandering, spotting, dog aggression, etc). By neutering/spaying the animal, one has 'fixed' (i.e., repaired or eliminated) the problems.

IMO, we aren't fixing nature's mistake, but our unwillingness/inability to live with or effectively manage 'nature.'

Aly

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I have always enjoyed the etymology of words and common phrases.......and "fixing a dog" is a good one.....kind of a mystery.

In the sense that "fix" means repair....well....a dog is hardly "repaired" via sterilizing....unless the idea is.... a dog is "broken" when it has all of its original body parts.

As far as "fix" suggesting a form of stabilizing.....I guess there would be some truth to that.....as the dog/bitch is incapable of breeding....so that would suggest some stability going forward.

IMO. "fixing a dog" is just a euphemism because the idea and process of desexing a dog needs to be sugarcoated for many a human.....kind of like " putting a dog to sleep".

The best I could find was the use of "fixing a dog" has been around since the 1930's.

Oh....your non-native use of English is excellent.

SuperG

·
Super Moderator
18,672 Posts
Y

IMO, we aren't fixing nature's mistake, but our unwillingness/inability to live with or effectively manage 'nature.'

Aly

There are people who do believe that we truly are fixing, i.e. making better, the dogs when we remove their sex organs. If anything we are actually breaking them. :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Nice explanations!! now how about that word “civil” and how it applies to dogs?:grin2:
That's a term of art, whole nuther animal. LOL. As I understand it, in IPO/LE-speak it's the exact opposite of the denotative meaning; viz., a civil dog is one that willingly engages in a fight and willingly BITES people.

EX: "My heart horse, Diederik, was very 'civil' with strangers."

Translation: I had to post WARNING signs on the stall doors.

>:)

Aly

·
Registered
934 Posts
There are people who do believe that we truly are fixing, i.e. making better, the dogs when we remove their sex organs. If anything we are actually breaking them. :)
Yes, well, I always recommend that those sorts of people just keep goldfish.

;)

Aly

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks for this post lhczth! Awesome wordage. I actually thought I was one of the few "non-breeders" who felt this way on germanshepherds.com.

I was talked into breaking my 1st Shep and swore to myself afterwards that I would never do that again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts