German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told bubbles is a working type of german shepherd because she doesn't have a sloped back line. Well the reason why I'm asking where I could find another bubbles. It is because I'm not sure really what type of shepherd she is and I'm interested. Bubbles made me fall in love with dogs and the breed. If i ever get another one I'd like the same type. Also, there is a friend of mine looking for a breeder that would have shepherds similar to mine. He said he likes the line of her back and hips.

thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,315 Posts
Where did you get bubbles? Many working lines or american pet lines have the same structure. Temperament is more important, though.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got bubbles from a family on craigslist . I wouldn't want to get another puppy from someone on craigslist. I think it's to risky. I just got lucky with her being so sweet and gentle tempered . I'd like to find a breeder with similiar shepherds for my friend. and if I can ever have another german shepherd I'd like it for my own information as well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh thanks. she's my baby girl. if I could get her cloned I would but I really don't want to take chances again on craigslist . I was lucky to get a nice little puppy. I was not really concerned about her back (i thought it was normal) but after my friend was really interested in her back and hips. He has been researching it but I'd thought I'd ask experts on the breed. about where to find more dogs like her.

·
Registered
27,315 Posts
Tell your friend to go with you to some training clubs .
Ask the handlers which breeders(lines) those that are impressive come from.
CL and any other internet ads will not be the place to find/support good GSD breeders's. They are the places that 'breeder's advertise when they can't find homes for their pups. There are also many facebook pages dedicated to breeder announcements, puppy postings or kennel brags. I see so much traffic on FB it's gotten a bit crazy.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Does she have the bitch stripe? I can't tell. Isn't that common in west german working lines only? I can't remember:confused:

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
"Does she have the bitch stripe? I can't tell. Isn't that common in west german working lines only"
No , in fact , few . This is usually associated with pigment paling -- common to Canto Wienerau heavy lines , which is not working lines .

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
she has a Mohawk on her back when she gets mad. i don't know if that counts as a stripe . but she doesn't have a stripe of color on her back then again she is only 8 months old. I saw some pictures of a bitch stripe. I'll post a picture of her back when I get home.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I think the best thing would be to describe what you are looking for in temperament as best as possible - find a breeder you think you would trust and see if they produce a dog meeting your desire characteristics. No dog will ever "be" Bubbles again; they are all different in their own way.

Structure wise I would just shoot for a sound dog without any extremes- leave it at that - for comparison, her pasterns don't look very strong and something looks "off" in the back end to me but I can't place it and it could just be the way she is standing - I am no experienced judge of that.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
"Does she have the bitch stripe? I can't tell. Isn't that common in west german working lines only"
No , in fact , few . This is usually associated with pigment paling -- common to Canto Wienerau heavy lines , which is not working lines .

So what line is Canto?

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
The fact that you described her temperament as "sweet and gentle natured" makes me think she's a mix of lines. The back is sloped because of the angulation in the back legs...that can come out of many lines. There is probably a working line somewhere in your girl's pedigree but it could also just be a show line dog that doesn't have as much angulation as normal.

But back to the temperament...I haven't heard many people describe working line puppies at 8 months old as "sweet and gentle natured." They are usually very very energetic, curious, and kind of a handful. I know that most people that I met when my boy was 8 months old...did not want one just like him. Today at 2.5 years, they love what he has become (due to training). I'm at a club with a variety of lines, the temperament points to American pet lines with a majority being American SL.

I suggest finding your local GSD club and going there to compare dogs. You'll quickly start to notice differences in temperament and structure. Maybe that will guide you to figure out what your girl is and what you want your next one (or your friend's next one) to be. It really helps to compare YOUR dog to other GSDs and not other breeds, as other breeds have different temperament standards.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ats-toupee-like-hair-patch-kiras-withers.html

Bitch stripe is common in WGSL - Canto is WGSL
You can find it in other lines as well. Find it more in females than males, but both have them. Some people say it has to do with being intact or not, but there are many exceptions to this theory so I don't have much faith in that.

OP's dog looks to be a mishmash of American pet lines so who knows what her ancestry is - OP should look for a breeder that breeds for moderate structure if she is against overangulation. If she wants lower drive temperament, you can find this as well.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Is there different drives in showline or is it always low?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts