German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start training for CDX soon, and I'm going to need the jumps to do so! This is my first time doing competitive obedience, so since I'm new at this I don't have any!

My husband is too lazy to weld them himself, so I was wondering if anybody knew and good places to get them? I'd prefer Canadian sites if possible, since we live in Canada.

Thanks!

Also, sorry if this is the wrong board for this topic.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Welding? Most home jumps are very portable and are made out of PVC - no welding anywhere. You can either make your own, check to see if anyone in your area makes some, or you can always get them from J&J.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Yupp, Lowes, make them out of PVC tubing.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
We built our jumps according to the section in the AKC Obedience regs called "suggested construction of jumps". Here is a link to the regs ( http://www.akc.org/rules/ ).

The only caveat I would share is don't build your broad jump out of wood! We originally built both jumps out of wood. The high jump is still functional after many years of use, but the broad jump quickly became warped.

The solution we came up with was to use vinyl garage trim to construct a broad jump. It looks just like wood, but doesn't warp in damp conditions. The real bonus is that it never needs repainting! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can also find plans for jumps of all kinds in the Agility books by Jane Simmons Moake. Those are what I used for the broad jump for mine and I used PVC for everything else. Gotta thank PVC manufacturers for that. They are portable if you want to train in other places against distractions. Just a jump or two for variety and heeling practice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts