She is 7 months now.

When does it start?
How long does it last?
And when will the next sessions start?

I'm new to having a bitch all my dogs have been male

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Typically it's close to a year but they can come in earlier...Gilda's first heat was at 9 months. They are normally 3 weeks but can go longer, they are normally every 6 months but some dogs go every 4 months. They can have a split heat, that will typically be 2 months afte the initial one and ususally it's the 2nd in a split heat that they can get pg. They can also have a silent heat in which you will not see the typical signs (discharge).

You will need to keep her away from all males during her cycle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Do they discharge allot?

She is very rarely near any male dogs and I don't want her having puppies for about a year or two yet.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You'd have to ask the breeder what to expect as to when.
Different lines mature at different ages. Some bitches come into heat at 6 months. Some at 18.

She'll come into heat 6-8 months after the previous heat.

Bitches are in heat for about three weeks. If you're being watchful, you'll notice a swollen vulva first.

I would recommend having her spayed after her first heat.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Thanks! Do they discharge allot?

She is very rarely near any male dogs and I don't want her having puppies for about a year or two yet.
Some bitches bleed like a stuck pig and others are very clean. It totally depends on the dog.

Are you planning on training, competing, and titling your dog?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks so much for this post! Ziva is coming up on 6 months and although we'd like to breeder her later, the fearful black lab next door isn't our pick. *L* She needs a real man! Now I know what to look for in her.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Stella has just completed her first heat, she was seven months on May 21st.
I have had 2 previous femaale dogs but it was so long ago I had forgotten what to expect if anything. She did not bleed alot some drips here and there, she was very clean always pampering herself. We also noticed that she was more cuddly and huggy:), listened better all around way quieter, now after the weekend and the cell phone incident ( see other thread) yes same dog she is back to her normal spazzy self!! WE did notice that the fur on her hind legs, rear area seems to get fluffier:wub: We thought alot about those red assed baboons:cry: Anyway here is hoping that her next heat is a ways off !

·
Registered
403 Posts
I, hopefully, calculated Texas's next cycle. If my numbers are correct, it should be late August or early September. I am definitely not looking forward to it. I am still trying to contemplate in fixing her now (11 months) or still wait till she fully matures. She is on the small end, most of my friends and family think she is officially done growing, but I also don't want to risk interferring with her growth. Has anyone fixed their female at 12 months? Or should I wait till 18 months as suggested?

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
That scares me. :( Hopefully, she doesn't get it when we compete in rally this comming month. I thought it would come back again in 6 months?

Its so confusing when it comes to spaying. :crazy: I hear so many mixed reviews here and from trainers. Most have told me to wait, in order to avoid putting any strain on her joints, since spaying can lead to this.

I honestly never wanted to go through a heat cycle. Once I went through it; it was horrible. Texas was very, very messy. :cry: The panties did not last me well (she would rip them) or stain them constantly. She lasted about 3 1/2 weeks.

Should I wait a little longer or spay her after competition?

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I'm one of those crazies who spays before first heat, so you don't want to ask me. I have also had dogs x-rayed then and their joints - the HD, is already there. Now maybe I have dogs with ESP HD ;) but I like to mention so that people don't think it's cause-effect with things like HD.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
That scares me. :( Hopefully, she doesn't get it when we compete in rally this comming month. I thought it would come back again in 6 months?

Its so confusing when it comes to spaying. :crazy: I hear so many mixed reviews here and from trainers. Most have told me to wait, in order to avoid putting any strain on her joints, since spaying can lead to this.

I honestly never wanted to go through a heat cycle. Once I went through it; it was horrible. Texas was very, very messy. :cry: The panties did not last me well (she would rip them) or stain them constantly. She lasted about 3 1/2 weeks.

Should I wait a little longer or spay her after competition?
I am getting my female GSD pup next year and I dread when the time comes for her to be in heat. I am TERRIFIED.

I like waiting between 15 months-2 years to neuter males but I dont think I can handle a unspayed female for that long so I will try to wait until she is 1 year old before I spay her.

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
If you plan on doing any type of sport that involves running, jumping and turning like agility, schutzhund or one of the ring sports I would wait until she is mature.

Having lived with intact females for 26 years I have never found it all that much of a pain. Yes, you must be vigilant and I wouldn't be taking her for walks around the neighborhood, going to dog parks or having her off leash anywhere other than in the house. Don't leave her alone in the yard or in a kennel unless you have several tall fences as a deterrent too. I either use the little pants or my dogs are crated during that time. Some females can be very messy and VERY stinky.

IF you think that at any time you or anyone in your family will not keep your female totally under supervision at all times for at least a month, then spay her now. Or if you have an intact male and don't think you can keep them separated, spay her now.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
My pup just finished her first heat. Her first official "in heat" day was April 30. It was a pain in the hind end. If you have any other dogs that are males, they will still attempt to mount her so no matter where she is, you have to remain extremely vigilant. I took her for walks but only with her puppy panties on. She did not discharge much, just a little. However, it was smelly. Ugh. I am not looking forward to the next one.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Having lived with intact females for 26 years I have never found it all that much of a pain. Yes, you must be vigilant and I wouldn't be taking her for walks around the neighborhood, going to dog parks or having her off leash anywhere other than in the house. Don't leave her alone in the yard or in a kennel unless you have several tall fences as a deterrent too. I either use the little pants or my dogs are crated during that time. Some females can be very messy and VERY stinky.

IF you think that at any time you or anyone in your family will not keep your female totally under supervision at all times for at least a month, then spay her now. Or if you have an intact male and don't think you can keep them separated, spay her now.
I would like to frame this.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Zoe is now in heat number 4 and it's not that bad though she is due to be spayed this month once this heat passes. She can only go for leashed walks which makes her a huge PITA because she NEEDS to run,lol but other than that the bleeding aspect with the doggie panties is just not bad at all. I change it in the morning first thing, when I get home at 3, and again before bed. We rotate between crating my male lab and her so no one is cooped up day and night. Waiting has it's benefits so if you can keep her away from males let her go till 18 months or so:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got my puppy Shadow spayed at 6 months old. Because of all the strays in my area I didnt want to take the chance that she would wonder off. The vet said there were no extra risks with getting her spayed that young and it wouldn't stunt her growth. In fact he recommended that all dogs that are not intented for show/breeding be nuetered/spayed before they are a year old. It is actually healthier for the dog in the long run.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts