German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little guy is 9 weeks old and isnt as fluffy as most the german shepherd puppies i have seen his age.
What can i do to help him get his nice thick german shepherd hair??
Vitamins? Special shampoo? Help!

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Genetics. Some dogs just don't have a thick coat.
Onyx has always had a fairly tight coat, but as she ages, it has fluffed up a bit, still it is more sleek compared to my other ones.
I see some GSD's with coats like a Malinois and WL's tend to not be as fluffy as the SL's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My mom use to pour the used grease from the cooked ground beef in the dog bowl with the dog food, but those were boxers. Has anyone tried this with the german shepherds? Or heard of it?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
That can cause pancreatitis...don't do it, especially for a baby puppy.
Make sure you are feeding a nutritious diet with the correct calcium/phosphorus ratio for growing pups(many threads on diet!) As long as your pup is healthy, the coat will be what it will be, you can't make a coatie out of a short stock coat.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Genetics. Some dogs just don't have a thick coat.
Onyx has always had a fairly tight coat, but as she ages, it has fluffed up a bit, still it is more sleek compared to my other ones.
I see some GSD's with coats like a Malinois and WL's tend to not be as fluffy as the SL's.
Like she said!

He's adorable.

Where are you? Sometimes they have thicker coats in colder climates.

Don't mess with his food if you're feeding quality kibble or raw. Grease won't make him fluffier.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
get him off that asap...read the nutrition forums, or barf/raw
Pedigree is nasty stuff for a growing pup.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
You will definitely see a better coat once you get him off of that food! I am pretty much a vegetarian myself but it is definitely not the correct diet for a dog, especially a growing puppy!

You will need to skip the grocery store and buy your food in a locally owned store or a bigger chain to get the better foods.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We feed our puppy dehydrated carrots from www.olewousa.com Our breeder told us they will help the coat a little and they will aid in digestion and making runny poop thicken up. Plus they will help the dog obtain the nice orange tint to his fur.....so I have been told....only time will tell with our puppy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
We feed our puppy dehydrated carrots from www.olewousa.com Our breeder told us they will help the coat a little and they will aid in digestion and making runny poop thicken up. Plus they will help the dog obtain the nice orange tint to his fur.....so I have been told....only time will tell with our puppy!

Someone told me feeding the dog any kind of vegetable that grows underground is dangerous for the dog? Is this true? If any, what vegetables are safe for a GSD? I have a 4.5 month old GSD and im feeding him 2 scoops of Ziwipeak Air Dried Lamp & Vension 3 times a day...

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Ziwipeak is great food! Carrots are fine for dogs but I have never heard of them firming up poops or really doing much except giving them something to chew on. Canned pumpkin will firm up poops.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well the dehydrated carrots are in pellet form and you add water to them which makes them kind of a mushy texture. The only ingredient is carrots. Check out the website if you would like to know more. They also sell dehydrated beets but I don't know what those do as my breeder didn't say anything about them. I am going to have to take my breeders word on the diet since they own my dogs sire which is http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=513778-basko-von-haus-vierra
He was the young dog Sieger making him the number 1 GSD for his age group. They know how to maintain beautiful dogs!!!

·
Banned
377 Posts
Check that list of the best dog foods and pick one of the top five brands. Your puppy is very young and his coat won't come in until he is at least 5-6 months old. Especially since you are in a warm climate. Proper (not veggie) food and patience. With any good quality dog food you don't need to add anything to augment it. Assuming that your dog is in good health, all the additional vitamins, etc are just to placate insecure dog owners.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My pup has only been on "taste of the wild" ..he in 6 months old and has the most amazing shinny, soft, thick full coat....my girl will be a year next week and I put her on it when we got the little boy back in December - she also has that soft silky coat..Actually they don't shed to much either

1 - 20 of 26 Posts