German Shepherds Forum banner

When to switch to adult food?

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Nikka Khrystyne 
#1 ·
I have a 9 month old female she will be 10 months on the first. She is currently on Instinct raw puppy food. But I’ve noticed she has been getting loose stool. So I want to switch her to something more sensitive stomach (suggested by my vet). I’m so far trying a small bag of science diet and mixing with her current food. Because that’s what my vet gave me a couple weeks ago when she had her Poops earlier and it seemed to help. But I’m worried I might be transitioning her to adult food too fast? Because this is already a large change because switching from grain-free to grain inclusive. Also any recommendations on good foods for sensitive doggies?

#2 ·
Every dog is different. What works for yours may not work for others. I have a 10 month old and she is a GSD mix. She’s fully grown and has filled out enough that we are weaning her off the high calorie puppy food now. My other dog has severe allergies and the vet dermatologist put her on Purina One Lamb and rice. She’s been on that for over a year. She’s 10 years old.

#3 ·
I switched my 9 month old to adult food. She did fine! For loose stools add a tablespoon of pumpkin puree to her food.

I don't like science diet dog food at all! But it is my own bias, I've never fed it to my current puppy, now a full grown dog. My bias comes from experience with other puppies and dogs.

But, as a previous poster said, every dog is an individual. You have to find a reasonably good food that works for your dog, and sometimes that can take a bit of experimentation!

Reactions: GSDmix
#4 ·
I switched my puppy to adult food when he got all his adult teeth, about 7 months. Some breeders even wean their puppies onto adult food, so I think you’ll be perfectly fine switching to adult food now if it’s easier for you.

Take it very slowly if she’s having issues, and give it at least two months for her stomach to settle and get used to the new food before you reevaluate how her stomach is handling this one. Meaning, don’t immediately try yet another brand if she’s still having diarrhea for a while after the switch. Give it time.

#7 ·
Oh trust me I hate it too. It’s over priced garbage. When I first took her to the vet as a puppy they literally give out free bags. But I’m gonna give it a bit of a try to get a handle on the loose stool and then I’ll switch to a better brand. I think I’ll definitely keep her on a grain inclusive diet though. Any suggestions?

#8 ·
#13 ·
I am a bit confused about puppy vs adult food. Is the only significant difference, calorie density?

With my current pup, at 6 months and nearly 70 lbs, he is eating 4 cups of puppy kibble mixed with 2 cups of chicken breast. His growth seems to have slowed down. He now looks like a lean teenage basketball player between growth spurts.

Will the decision point to switch to adult food be when he starts to fill out? He does get 2 tbs pumpkin puree in his next meal if his poop is soft.

#14 ·
Mine are going to be two soon and we are starting the switch with success. We tried twice before around a year and a year half old but both dogs reacted negatively so we waited (then forgot to be honest things got a little busy) and are doing again with the same flavor of food but the "adult" version. I looked and compared everything and content/percentage wise everything was pretty much the same between what we are switching too and currently feeding.

Odin is very lean so our vet didn't see any issue with them being on the puppy formula for longer. Plus we supplement with raw fruits and veggies as well as a high quality real meat made for dogs.

Currently feeding Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy (formulated for large breed dogs) and are currently switching to the adult version. Previously we tried to switch to a more top quality food but they did not respond well and our vet said both dogs look great on what we are currently feeding with no skin, coat or teeth issues. So for now we are sticking to TOTW.

Switch when its best for your dog!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.