German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last thread I read about this was several years old so any utd info would be great. I would like to know when do you begin to switch to adult food? I will ask the vet at his next appt. but any advice from you all would be great.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Varies per pup but generally 6 months to a year. We had some dog food shortages early in COVID so I had to switch my current 12 month old at 6 months. Be aware that puppy kibble is generally denser in calories per cup

·
Registered
249 Posts
We did between 4-6 mos, and until that time used large breed formula for the calcium/phosphorus ratio. There's apparently the total intake of the dog (getting too heavy too fast) along with the above ratio being off that can potentially cause hip dysplasia.

·
Registered
399 Posts
We feed Victor all life stages
I used to feed Victor to my dogs until they changed the formula. However, my dog is a year and a month old and I am still giving him a large breed puppy food. I am planning to continue to give him the large breed puppy food until he is about 18 months old. He is still growing, very active and quite thin.

German Shepherds are considered a large breed, which take longer to reach maturity than small or medium breeds. While a small breed might be ready to switch from puppy food by 8 or 9 months, with large breeds you want to wait until about 15-18 months. A friend of mine breeds Great Danes (which are considered a giant breed) and she did not switch her male from puppy food until he was almost 2 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I switched my puppy to adult food in the fifth month, but of course, it depends. When I just started giving him adult food, my Jack had some health problems, and it worried me. Then, I started searching for information about food for dogs and stumbled on this site DoggoLab. After reading the guide, I found all the information I was looking for and found out what is the best breed dog food. If you also have a dog, make sure you give him only the right dog food. I am sure that everyone who has a dog will understand me, because dogs are our best friends, and we must take care of them the best way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts