German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 10 week old puppy that has been with us for 3 weeks, we dont take him out for a walk very often due to not having all his shots yet but we try to go out for a small walk every once in a while so he gets used to the street, cars, people and other dogs walking by.

The first 2 weeks he was mostly trying to play with our feet, jump on our legs and crossing in front of us making us trip, but the last couple of times we went on a walk with him he started pulling on the leash and trying to get ahead of us all the time.

Most of the online videos I found talk about how to train an already adult dog to stop pulling, and most of them using prong collars to correct the pulling behavior.
I wanted to start working on this with him as soon as possible to avoid these issues in the future when he is much bigger and stronger.

When is a good time to start working on this and what are the best techniques to use with a 10-12 week puppy?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
370 Posts
At this age, I took walks with my puppy on a 20 foot leash. They were more of an exploration than a walk. I didn’t let him pull me anywhere so if he got to the end of the leash, I stopped. He’d get distracted in a few seconds and stop pulling. Then we would continue.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I started working on not pulling the second my puppy came home. He was always on a 6 foot leash. I had tasty treats in my pocket and rewarded constantly when he was walking nearby. I didn't care if he was in a a heel (but he got jackpots if he was in heel), so long as he wasn't pulling. As soon as there was tension on the leash, I stopped moving and refused to go anywhere until the tension eased, then gave him a treat if he came close to me again. As a result, my 8 month old puppy never pulls, literally ever. I can take him somewhere as exciting as on a hike and he doesn't pull, but I can be consistent 100% of the time, which most people struggle with.

If your puppy finds walks in the neighborhood on leash too exciting for you to get anywhere, start practicing in your living room or backyard. Reward heavily when he's not pulling and slowly ease that out so you're only giving treats every once in a while when he isn't pulling.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I started working on not pulling the second my puppy came home. He was always on a 6 foot leash. I had tasty treats in my pocket and rewarded constantly when he was walking nearby. I didn't care if he was in a a heel (but he got jackpots if he was in heel), so long as he wasn't pulling. As soon as there was tension on the leash, I stopped moving and refused to go anywhere until the tension eased, then gave him a treat if he came close to me again. As a result, my 8 month old puppy never pulls, literally ever. I can take him somewhere as exciting as on a hike and he doesn't pull, but I can be consistent 100% of the time, which most people struggle with.

If your puppy finds walks in the neighborhood on leash too exciting for you to get anywhere, start practicing in your living room or backyard. Reward heavily when he's not pulling and slowly ease that out so you're only giving treats every once in a while when he isn't pulling.

I would agree with that and also add to pop the leash instead of a continuous pull so they don't get used to constant tension.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Another great thread on gs.com for newbies :)

I am working on with 17-week old pup who I have had for a week. My goal is a happy and healthy companion dog that can go with me almost anywhere.

I am currently using the explore with a 6-foot loose leash approach to walking. We kind of meander down a trail. If I ever feel more than a slight tug, I stop and stare off into the distance and give the leash a gentle tug, so when I release the leash, it is slack.

I don't move again until Ole
1. Glances back at me, eye to eye.
2. Or the leash has been slack.

If he glances back he gets a nice verbal reward. (edit: after rereading this thread I will try treat rewards for good walking as well.)

I am also thinking about trying this approach with a 20-foot leash.

FWIW - we always exercise enough so the Ole can contain himself outside before we step out the door. I like a little fetch or tug of war.

I am learning to figure out how much stimulation he can take without getting too excited. The higher his self-control that day, the farther we explore. The lower his self-control, the closer we stick to the yard.

As a total newbie training a German Shepard pup, the most common thing effective trainers seem to do is read and understand their dog. Then they work with him at the limit where he learns successfully.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Hello, I have a 10 week old puppy that has been with us for 3 weeks, we dont take him out for a walk very often due to not having all his shots yet but we try to go out for a small walk every once in a while so he gets used to the street, cars, people and other dogs walking by.
This right there is setting him up for failure. A puppy has a very short exposure period that closes at four months. You are laying a foundation for fearful and reactive behaviors.

Most puppies as young as yours will innately follow you. Take him somewhere away from traffic on natural surfaces and walk him without a leash. Chances are excellent he will follow. With this method, you won't teach him to pull on a leash from the beginning.

If you can't walk on natural surfaces and use something like a parking lot or an open tennis court or playground, try a flexi lead so the pup doesn't learn to pull.

The average ten week old puppy is not going to wander off. Use it to your advantage.

·
Registered
577 Posts
From the very start you should be addressing it. The more he practices the better he'll be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts