German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted my puppy yesterday and I am planning to switch food--the humane society she came from feeds Science Diet; I will most likely switch to Canidae.

How long should I let her settle into my home before I start the switch?

~Kristin

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
larrydee33, thanks--I know to take it gradually, but what I need to know is how long to wait BEFORE starting the switch; in other words, how long should I let her "settle in" before starting the switch?

~Kristin

·
Registered
833 Posts
Your pup will let you know!! It's true. Just mix in a little of the new kibble and see what happens. If she wants no part of it give it a little more time like a few more days then try again by putting just a little in and see what happens.

All of them are different you can't say in a week start the switch you really have to play it by ear.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not worried about her rejecting the new food, I'm trying to avoid digestive upset.

~Kristin

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Originally Posted By: balakaiI'm not worried about her rejecting the new food, I'm trying to avoid digestive upset.

~Kristin
i had some what of a problem like that with tyson switching foods. i actually started at 50-50 instead of 25-75. it caused him to have loose/runny stool. but over time he has built an appetite for his new food and seems to like it. BTW i switched from science diet too. i dont think science diet is a bad food, i just want better for my pup, and keep the grains out of his diet

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
I switched my males diet as soon as he got here... Granted he was older.. So I don't know if that makes a difference.. I also (did it all backwards) didn't do a gradual change.. He went from what the breeder was feeding to what I was feeding.. Normally not something I would do or recommend, but I was too cheap to buy what he was on.. I had no stomach issues..

I've also had many foster dogs do fine on switching right over to the new food.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I started switching her last Friday, her 12th and 13th meals at my house (day 7). I did 75% old and 25% new for 5 days; today I started a 50/50 mix. I'll do that for ~5 days as long as her poop stays fairly firm, then go to 25 old/75 new for ~5 days.

Since I'm switching to a food that has more calories per cup, should I be reducing the amount she gets during this gradual switch, or should I complete the switch then reduce amounts?

~Kristin

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Quote:eek:r should I complete the switch then reduce amounts?
This is what I would do..

Then you keep an eye on her weight and adjust the amount accordingly..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts